1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus class-will i struggle?

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, its not exactly related to this section but I need your help!
    I want to do maths as minor at university. My major is in science as I started doing a sport science degree and didn't want to waste all the units I had done.

My university only has 3 maths units so I have to do them all. I am told that 2 are fairly easy but the third is calculus and is hard. As its my minor I will never have to teach calculus but there just aren't enough maths units offered. Do you think I will stuggle??

When I was at school I did top maths until yeat 11, so I started geometry and trig. I left school in 2005.

Let me know what you think

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if it has been 5 years since you took math, you will really struggle. To do calculus, you will need to be really good at algebra and trig. Of course, I can't say how fast you will pick it up again.

4. May 10, 2010 #3
    thanks for you opinion. i have been told that the lecturer for the class is the same guy we had for our physics/chem classes and he was really good with those. I was able to pick-up chemistry which i dropped in my final year at school! thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook