Calculus hangup in Gravitation

In summary, the concept of "Calculus hangup" in gravitation refers to the difficulty in applying traditional calculus methods to solve problems in gravitational fields. Calculus is important in understanding gravitation as it allows us to mathematically describe the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. However, there are challenges in using calculus for gravitational problems, such as non-uniform fields and the effects of multiple objects. To overcome these challenges, advanced techniques such as vector calculus and differential equations can be used. Real-life applications of calculus in gravitation include predicting the motion of planets and satellites, studying black holes and galaxies, and calculating the trajectory of space probes.
nonne
So, I'm going over this bit in the beginning of MTW's Gravitation where they give an equation for changing acceleration from time coordinate t to time coordinate T(t):

[tex]\frac{{d}^{2}x}{{dt}^{2}} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{dT}{dt}) = \frac{{d}^{2}T}{{dt}^{2}}\frac{dx}{dT} + {(\frac{dT}{dt})}^{2}\frac{{d}^{2}x}{{dT}^{2}}[/tex]

The first term on the RHS is easy enough to figure out:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dT}(\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dT}{dt})) = \frac{{d}^{2}T}{{dt}^{2}}\frac{dx}{dT}[/tex]

but for the second term I'm not sure if my method was the most elegant thing possible:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}(\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dx}{dT})) = \frac{dT}{dt}(\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d}{dT}(x)) = \frac{dT}{dt}(\frac{d}{dT}(\frac{dx}{dt})) = \frac{dT}{dt}(\frac{d}{dT}(\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{dT}{dt})) = {(\frac{dT}{dt})}^{2}\frac{{d}^{2}x}{{dT}^{2}} + \frac{dT}{dt}\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{d}{dT}(\frac{dT}{dt}) = {(\frac{dT}{dt})}^{2}\frac{{d}^{2}x}{{dT}^{2}} + \frac{dT}{dt}\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dT}{dT}) = {(\frac{dT}{dt})}^{2}\frac{{d}^{2}x}{{dT}^{2}}[/tex]

Now, like I said I bet there's a better way to get from the LHS to the RHS, but my real problem is with the following equation, which kind of falls out of the last couple of steps I put up there:

[tex]\frac{d}{dT}(\frac{dT}{dt}) = 0[/tex]

because it seems like if, say, T(t) = (t + 1)^2, then:

[tex]\frac{d}{dT}(\frac{dT}{dt}) = \frac{d}{dT}(2(t+1)) = \frac{d}{dT}(2\sqrt{T}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{T}} [/tex]

and not zero.

So I'm sure that what I'm missing is something about exactly what it means to take a derivative with respect to a function instead of a variable, but I can't remember what. I'm super hung up on this, so if anyone could help me out that would be wonderful.

(also, sorry for only posting half of my post earlier, but PF is acting kind of weird)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nonne said:
So, I'm going over this bit in the beginning of MTW's Gravitation where they give an equation for changing acceleration from time coordinate t to time coordinate T(t):

[tex]\frac{{d}^{2}x}{{dt}^{2}} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{dT}{dt}) = \frac{{d}^{2}T}{{dt}^{2}}\frac{dx}{dT} + {(\frac{dT}{dt})}^{2}\frac{{d}^{2}x}{{dT}^{2}}[/tex]

Maybe this will help:

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dx}{dT}\frac{dT}{dt}\right)= \frac{dx}{dT}\frac{d^2T}{dt^2}+\frac{dT}{dt}\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dx}{dT}\right)= \frac{dx}{dT}\frac{d^2T}{dt^2}+\frac{dT}{dt}\frac{dT}{dt}\frac{d}{dT} \left(\frac{dx}{dT}\right)= \frac{dx}{dT}\frac{d^2T}{dt^2}+\left(\frac{dT}{dt}\right)^2\frac{d^2x}{dT^2}[/tex]

The "trick" is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}=\frac{dT}{dt}\frac{d}{dT}[/tex]

What is the concept of "Calculus hangup" in gravitation?

The "Calculus hangup" in gravitation refers to the difficulty in applying calculus to solve problems in gravitational fields. This is due to the fact that gravity is a force that acts in all directions and changes over time, making it a complex system to analyze using traditional calculus methods.

Why is calculus important in understanding gravitation?

Calculus is important in understanding gravitation because it allows us to mathematically describe how objects move under the influence of gravity. By using calculus, we can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in a gravitational field, and make predictions about their future motion.

What are some common challenges when applying calculus to gravitational problems?

Some common challenges when applying calculus to gravitational problems include dealing with non-uniform gravitational fields, accounting for the changing strength and direction of gravitational forces, and incorporating the effects of multiple objects on each other's motion.

How can one overcome these challenges when using calculus to analyze gravitational systems?

To overcome these challenges, one can use advanced calculus techniques such as vector calculus and differential equations. It is also important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the mathematical models being used to describe the gravitational system.

Are there any real-life applications of calculus in gravitation?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of calculus in gravitation. These include predicting the motion of planets and satellites, calculating the trajectory of space probes, and understanding the behavior of objects in orbit around a planet or star. Calculus is also used in the field of astrophysics to study the behavior of massive objects such as black holes and galaxies.