Calculus Highway Construction Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the equation of a vertical parabolic curve that smoothly transitions between a -5% grade and a 3% grade over a distance of 1000 ft. The coordinate system will have x = 0 when the curve starts with an elevation of 1250 ft. The equation y = Ax^2 + Bx + C can be differentiated with respect to x to find the necessary coefficients. By setting x = 0 and using the given gradients, the values of B and C can be determined, and by setting x = 1000 and using the given gradient of 3%, the value of A can also be found.
harshey

Homework Statement

A segment of interstate highwya under consideration lies in a vertical plane. A segment with a grade of -5% is to be joined smoothly to a segment with a grade of 3%. The vetical parabolic curve which will accomplish this transition is to begin at a point with elevation 1250 ft. The length of the vertical curve is to be 1000 ft. See figure. I have attached the figure as an attachment.

Using a suitable coordinate system in which the horizontal and vertical units are feet, determine the equation of the vertical parabolic curve which makes the smooth transition between the two grades.

Homework Equations

y = Ax^2+Bx+C

Grade of 3% means for every 100 ft. in highway length, there is a 3 ft. increase in elevation of the highway.
Same for -5%.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I think is necessary to solve this problem is the coordinate point at B. Also, where the parabolic curve has a tangent of 0. With that I think I would be able to solve the problem.

However, I can't figure out how to find where the parabolic curve has a tangent of 0.

I may be on the wrong path completely so please let me know if you think there's a better way to solve the problem.

Another thing I tried was saying that well, if it begins as a -5% grade, and ends as a 3% grade, the overall grade is -2%, thus from that I thought I could find the y coordinate point of B, but that got me nowhere I think.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help.
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Highway Problem.JPG
    Highway Problem.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
You've recognised the general equation of a parabola to be y = Ax^2 + Bx + C. Because we're dealing with gradients, I suggest you differentiate this equation with respect to x. In this situation, y is the elevation, and x is the horizontal distance.

A sensible co-ordinate system would be to have x = 0 when the parabola starts, i.e. y = 1250 when x = 0. Find C from this. Use the gradient when x = 0 to find B, and then also you known when x = 1000, the gradient is 3%, and so find A. Remember to turn the percentage gradients into fractions.

Hope this helps.

1. What is the "Calculus Highway Construction Problem"?

The "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves optimizing the construction of a highway to minimize costs while maximizing efficiency and safety. It requires the use of calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals to find the optimal solution.

2. Why is the "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" important?

The "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" is important because it has real-world applications in the construction industry. By finding the optimal solution, engineers can save time and money while also ensuring the safety of drivers using the highway.

3. What are the key concepts of calculus used in solving the "Calculus Highway Construction Problem"?

The key concepts of calculus used in solving the "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" include derivatives, integrals, optimization, and related rates. These concepts are used to model and analyze the cost, efficiency, and safety of the highway construction.

4. How is the "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" solved?

The "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" is solved by setting up an optimization problem and using calculus techniques to find the optimal solution. This involves finding the derivative of the cost function and setting it equal to zero to find the minimum or maximum value. Then, the second derivative test can be used to confirm if it is a minimum or maximum.

5. What are some real-world examples of the "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" being applied?

The "Calculus Highway Construction Problem" has been applied in various real-world scenarios, such as determining the optimal shape and size of a highway overpass, finding the most cost-effective route for a highway, and designing efficient highway intersections. It has also been used to analyze and improve existing highways to reduce congestion and improve safety.