1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus - How to minimize x^2 + (1/x^2)

1. May 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a positive number such that the sum of the square of the number and its reciprocal is a minimum.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    y=X^2+(1/X^2)
    Derivative=2x-2x^(-3)
    0=2x-2x^3
    2/x^3=2x
    2=2x^4
    1=x^4
    x=1

The answer I got was 1 but I'm not sure if this is right. Can someone please tell me if I did it right or wrong. If wrong, can you point out my mistake. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

[strike]Looks good except that you missed a possible solution. What other value of x satisfies x^4=1?[/strike]

Oops, never mind. I didn't notice you were looking for a positive number.

You just now need to verify that the critical point corresponds to a minimum.

4. May 16, 2014 #3
    Is it possible for the minimum to be a smaller value or would the smallest value be 1?

5. May 16, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the graph is concave up for ##x>0## your relative minimum will be an absolute minimum on that interval. Have you checked that?

6. May 16, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your function is strictly convex in the convex region {x > 0}, so any stationary point is automatically a global minimum within the region.

7. May 16, 2014 #6
    Oh ok so since it is absolute it would be 1 right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted