1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus III & Differential Equations

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    Can both of these classes be taken concurrently? I'm not sure but I think, at my community college, Calculus III is a prerequisite to Differential Equations but, a few friends from Rutgers and TCNJ have taken Differential Eq's before Calc 3. I guess it's different everywhere and I'm just curious if anyone on here thinks I may have been deceived or that taking both classes concurrently is a probability.

I'd also like to ask, in conjunction to my original question, would a semester containing: Calculus III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra and Analytic Physics, be too hard?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it can be, which means the best course is to ask the instructors or someone else in that department who is familiar with those courses, as they are taught there.
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    Calculus III and Linear Algebra would actually probably be quite interesting to take together.

I haven't taken Diff-EQ yet (Registered to take it this spring), nor have I taken Analytic Physics, so unfortunately I can't help you there.
  5. Oct 22, 2008 #4
    I took Diff Eq before Calc 3 and did just fine. If you can do derivatives, integrals, and find the eigenvalues and determinant of a 2x2 matrix, then you're good for Diff Eq. They will probably start using multivariable functions without introducing them first, but if you're taking Calc 3 at the same time you'll be fine in that regard.

My school teaches basic linear algebra in Calc 2, so I learned how to find eigenvalues and determinants then. If linear algebra isn't a pre-req for Diff Eq at your school then I'm guessing that they'll teach you what you need to know in either Calc 3 or Diff Eq.
  6. Oct 22, 2008 #5
    calc II is the prereq for linear algebra.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?