1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus III - Multivariate limit problem

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that for all points [itex] (\bf{a,b}) [/itex] from [itex]\mathbb{R}^n \times \mathbb{R}^n
    [/itex] this applies:

[itex] \displaystyle \lim _{(\bf{x,y}) \to ({\bf a,b})} \bf{||x-y|| = ||a - b||} [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought about defining a and b as centers of two open balls with x in the a ball and y in the b ball but honestly I'm stuck so any tips to help me get started would be appreciated.

Thanks.

edit: for clarification ||x-y|| means the distance between x and y.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2
    I'm not sure it may help, but I would deal with it by simply applying the definition of distance, that should be the norm of those vectors. So I would define X and Y as vectors of n components and show clearly, maybe with a few passages how they go to a and b.

4. Jan 14, 2012 #3
    Does [itex]||x-y|| [/itex] represent the Euclidean norm, i.e. [itex] ||x-y|| = \sqrt{(x_1 - y_1)^2 + (x_2 - y_2)^2} [/itex] where [itex] x = (x_1, x_2), y = (y_1, y_2) [/itex]?

If so, the norm is clearly continuous. Give a quick proof of it then your proposition follows.

If it's not the Euclidean norm, you can still prove that a norm on any vector space is continuous, from which your proposition will again follow.

5. Jan 14, 2012 #4
    D'oh. It's Euclidean.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook