1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Calculus in the derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation

1. Jun 19, 2017 #1
    In the derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation, when differentiating S with respect to α, there is a step:
    $$\frac{\partial f(Y,Y',x)}{\partial\alpha}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial\alpha}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{\partial y'}{\partial\alpha}$$
    Where $$ Y = y(x)+\alphaη(x)$$

My puny math knowledge can't tell me 2 things:
    1.why is it ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial\alpha}## instead of ##\frac{\partial Y}{\partial\alpha}##? Isn't the second one equal to η? Why is the first one equal to η? Did I skip something?

2. Where does the plus sign come from? I learned partial derivative before but I cannot recall anything like this. I have a feeling this is the result of forgetting something completely:oops:

Edit: NM the second one I was stupid It's just chain rule :oops:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Wikipedia does a good write-up. They use the letter ## g ## instead of ## Y ##, but comparing the two, you are correct that it should be a capital ## Y ## and ## Y' ## in those terms.

4. Jun 19, 2017 #3
    That Wikipedia page really helped, thanks. I see that ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial\alpha}## when ##\alpha = 0## is the integrand we are looking for. My book didn't bother explaining that directly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted