Calculus (infinite series) - Gravitational Potential Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics problem on potential energy. The solution involves expressing U as a function of h/R and using the power series expansion, with the end goal of approximating -mgR + mgh. The conversation also includes a hint to multiply both sides of the equation by R and use the equation GM/R^2 = 9.8 to simplify the problem.
sonikbliss

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/817/potentialenergy.jpg

Homework Equations

Given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never had physics in my life and am completely baffled by this problem. I'm only in calculus 3 and am just learning infinite series so I am supposed to be able to understand this on some level but I can't even figure out how to start. I'm not asking anybody to just give me the answer but if anyone can help me get started in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. I want to be able to comprehend this stuff but I don't feel like my calculus skills are there yet after only a few weeks. Thanks to anyone gracious enough to help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know any physics to do this problem, just follow the hint. Figure out a way to express U as a function of h/R (and a bunch of constants), and then write out the power series expansion. This infinite power series is supposed to approximately equal -mgR + mgh.

So are you saying to solve U for both h and R, divide the two, then solve for U?

Try multiplying both the top and bottom of the equation by R so that you can factor another R out of the bottom, leaving you with a (-GmMR)/[R^2(1+h/R)]. Then use your GM/R^2 = 9.8 to end up with (-9.8mR)/(1-(-h/R)). From here, it's a simple power series of type a/(1-r).

1. What is calculus and how is it related to gravitational potential energy?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is related to gravitational potential energy because it allows us to analyze and understand how the potential energy of an object changes as its position changes in a gravitational field.

2. What is an infinite series in calculus?

An infinite series in calculus is a sum of an infinite number of terms. These terms can be numbers, functions, or a combination of both. It is used to approximate values of functions and can be used to solve problems involving gravitational potential energy.

3. How is gravitational potential energy calculated using calculus?

Gravitational potential energy can be calculated using the formula U = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. Calculus is used to analyze how this potential energy changes as the height of the object changes.

4. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and the distance between two objects?

The gravitational potential energy between two objects is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential energy decreases and vice versa. This relationship can be described using the inverse square law.

5. Why is it important to understand calculus in relation to gravitational potential energy?

Understanding calculus in relation to gravitational potential energy is important because it allows us to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of objects in a gravitational field. It also helps us to solve complex problems involving gravitational potential energy and to make important calculations in fields such as physics and engineering.