1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus - Minimizing functions

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Maximize the function for x. exp(-y+x-1) for y >= x-1 and y=x+e where e is distributed exp(L)

3. The attempt at a solution

d/dx(ln(exp(-y+x-1)) = 0 => d/dx(-y+x-1) = 0 but if I take the derivative of this x goes away.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does "maximize the function for x" mean? And what is L? And what does "e is distributed exp(L) mean?

4. May 20, 2014 #3
    Basically I am finding the maximum likelihood estimator x which is equivalent to maximizing the function exp(-y+x-1) where y >= x-1 .

e is representing error and distributed exponentially with parameter L means that it follows a distribution L*exp(-L*x).

5. May 20, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, we aren't mind readers here. How would we know that "e" in your problem isn't the base of natural logarithms? You should include relevant details in your statement of the problem. I will let others respond to your question, now that I know what the subject area is.

6. May 20, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you describing two separate problems? I read it as:
    Problem (1) [tex] \max_x \exp(-y+x-1),\\
    \text{subject to } x-1 \leq y [/tex]
    and
    Problem (2) ##\max_x x+e, \: e \sim \text{expl}(L)##

If so, you have approached problem (1) incorrectly, since you cannot just set the derivative to zero in a constrained problem.

As stated, problem (2) makes no sense, for at least two reasons: (i) the thing you are maximizing is a random variable, not a real-valued function; and (ii) if there is no constraint on ##x## your "maximum" will be at ##x = +\infty##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted