Calculus of Variations: Functional is product of 2 integrals

In summary: I see it now. So the minimum would occur when δy=0 which would occur when y''=0. In summary, the functional can be minimized using the Euler-Lagrange equation and setting the variation δy to zero, which results in y''=0.
anf3

Homework Statement

Minimize the functional: ∫01 dx y'2⋅ ∫01 dx(y(x)+1) with y(0)=0, y(1)=a

Homework Equations

(1) δI=∫ dx [∂f/∂y δy +∂f/∂y' δy']
(2) δy'=d/dx(δy)
(3) ∫ dx ∂f/∂y' δy' = δy ∂f/∂y' |01 - ∫ dx d/dx(∂f/∂y') δy
where the first term goes to zero since there is no variation at the endpoints

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (1) to get
δI= ∫dx 2y'δy' ∫dx(y+1) + ∫dx y'2 ∫dx δy
Using (2) and (3) to get
δI= ∫dx y'2 ∫dx δy - ∫dx d/dx(2y')δy ∫dx(y+1) = 0
I then tried various ways of manipulating this equation to something that I could minimize trying to isolate δy but was unable to do so since it was always within an integral. I tried to simplify d/dx(2 y') to 2y'' to see if that helped but could not find any benefit to doing so. I also thought about using an integral by parts again but couldn't see where to do so. Using the values at the end points seems like something I should be doing but I don't know how I would. Any advice on how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. You have:

[itex]\int_0^1 dx (y')^2 \int_0^1 \delta y dx - \int_0^1 dx 2y'' \delta y\int_0^1 (y+1) dx = 0 [/itex]

(Yes, it is better to write [itex]\frac{d}{dx} 2 y'[/itex] as [itex]2 y''[/itex].)

At this point, let's just name two integrals:
[itex]I_1 = \int_0^1 dx (y')^2[/itex]

[itex]I_2 = \int_0^1 dx (y+1)[/itex]

So we have:
[itex]I_1 \int_0^1 \delta y dx - I_2 \int_0^1 dx 2y'' \delta y = 0[/itex]

Now, the important thing to recognize is that [itex]I_1[/itex] and [itex]I_2[/itex] are not functions of [itex]x[/itex] (since [itex]x[/itex] has been integrated out). So you can treat them as if they were constants, and you can combine the two integrals:

[itex]\int_0^1 \delta y (I_1 - I_2 2y'') dx = 0[/itex]

Likes anf3
stevendaryl said:
Now, the important thing to recognize is that [itex]I_1[/itex] and [itex]I_2[/itex] are not functions of [itex]x[/itex] (since [itex]x[/itex] has been integrated out). So you can treat them as if they were constants, and you can combine the two integrals:

[itex]\int_0^1 \delta y (I_1 - I_2 2y'') dx = 0[/itex]

Thank you! Yes, the integrals becoming constants after being evaluated was what I was failing to think about.

1. What is the purpose of the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a function or system of functions. It allows us to find the path or curve that minimizes or maximizes a specific functional.

2. What is a functional in the context of the Calculus of Variations?

A functional is a mathematical function that takes in a function as its input and outputs a real number. It can be thought of as a mapping from a set of functions to the set of real numbers. In the context of the Calculus of Variations, it represents the quantity that we are trying to minimize or maximize.

3. How is the functional expressed as a product of two integrals in the Calculus of Variations?

The functional is typically expressed as a product of two integrals: the first integral represents the integrand, which is the function being optimized, and the second integral represents the domain over which the function is integrated. This allows us to manipulate and solve for the optimal function using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation and how is it used in the Calculus of Variations?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a necessary condition for a function to be an optimal solution to a given functional. It is derived from the first variation of the functional and allows us to find the specific function that minimizes or maximizes the functional. It is a crucial tool in the Calculus of Variations and is used to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations has numerous real-world applications, including structural engineering, optimal control theory, economics, and physics. For example, it can be used to find the shape of a beam that can withstand a specific load while minimizing its weight, or to find the shortest path between two points with varying terrain and obstacles. It also has applications in calculus of variations in quantum mechanics and classical mechanics.