Is Calculus of Variations a Daunting Topic for a Final Year Math Project?

In summary, the speaker is in their final year of studying maths and is about to start their 4th year project on the topic of "Calculus of variations". They are seeking recommendations for books that provide a good explanation of the subject and wondering if they should revise certain areas of calculus beforehand. Suggestions are made for books at different levels, with a focus on mathematical books rather than mechanics books. The idea of doing a presentation on a classic problem in the subject, such as the brachistochrone, is also mentioned.
ElDavidas
I'm doing my final year in maths and am just away to start my 4th year project. It involves learning a subject on my own then submitting a report and doing a presentation. The topic I have to do is "Calculus of variations".

I've been reading about the topic briefly on a few webpages and it does seem a bit daunting!

Does anybody know any decent books worth reading that provide a good explanation of the subject? Also, would it be helpful if I revised certain areas of calculus before trying to learn the topic?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Any good mechanics book would be an excellent place to start.

Actually, mechanics book most often treat the point from a physicla point of view. Not explaining what a variation is, using [itex]\delta[/itex] and using all kinds of theorems and properties of functions without much scrutiny.

My advice is to go to your library and get a mathematical book which introduces the subject. Then take it with you and study it.

Elementry level book: The Calculus of Variation by van Brunt (Mainly 1D 2D problems), Introduction to the calculus of Variations and its applications by Wan.
Intermediate level: Calculus of Variation I and II by Giaquinta, and some sections of Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles.
Masterpiece: Morse, The Calculus of Variations in the Large, and work by C. Caratheodory.

Mechanic books often omit the discussion of sufficient condition of being max/min.

Last edited:
I would suggest doing a presentation on some of the classic problems like the brachistochrone. Any book on the calculus of variations will tackle that one early on. You could throw in some historical intrigue here about the Bernoulli brothers.

What is the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, known as an integral, over a given set of functions.

What is the main application of the Calculus of Variations?

The main application of the Calculus of Variations is in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the best possible solution among a set of possible solutions.

How is the Calculus of Variations different from traditional calculus?

The Calculus of Variations differs from traditional calculus in that it focuses on finding the optimal function, rather than just finding the value of a function at a specific point.

What are some real-world examples of problems that can be solved using the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points, determining the shape of a hanging cable or bridge, and optimizing the trajectory of a rocket.

What are some famous results or theorems in the Calculus of Variations?

Some famous results and theorems in the Calculus of Variations include the Euler-Lagrange equation, which gives necessary conditions for an optimal solution, and the Isoperimetric inequality, which states that among all closed curves with the same perimeter, the circle has the largest area.