1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Need calculus of variations book for a laymen

1. Jun 29, 2016 #1
    While trying to study textbooks on analytical mechanics or QFT I realized that I simply cannot operate with variations of functions in the same way I can operate with derivatives and integrals. I have never learnt calculus of variations in university and, frankly, I am not much interested in this topic by itself, but I need it to go further in my attempts to learn physics.

So can anybody recommend a good practical book or may be video-course on this subject? Again, I do not need very fine details and rigorous proofs, but I need to gain practical ability to understand this stuff and gain some intuition with it. I see that some physics textbook try to introduce calculus of variations just as part of the text, but I fail to understand it to a satisfactory level.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The calculus of variations is often a graduate-level course. It's pretty abstract stuff, and I doubt there's a Calculus of Variations for Dummies out there.

Now, there are certain physical problems which can be handled by the C of V which may be a little easier to understand than QFT, problems like the brachistochrone.

http://mat.uab.cat/matmat/PDFv2007/v2007n05.pdf

4. Jun 29, 2016 #3
    Why don't you try The Calculus of Variations by van Brunt. It has physical examples and you can skip over the theory if bored.

5. Jun 29, 2016 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  6. Jul 9, 2016 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am actually in the progress writing "Lecture notes" about mathematical topics for basic Quantum Field Theory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3c4wzdbaqbjumq/QFT_notes.pdf?dl=0

Now I so happens that I am almost finished with the section regarding calculus of variations :)

7. Jul 9, 2016 #6
    Is there any way you could share it publicly? I do not have a dropbox account and it does not let me download it. Thanks.

8. Jul 9, 2016 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

strange that one needs a dropbox account in order to obtain access to a shared file, it has never happened to me before

no I do not want to do that because it is not finished yet

9. Jul 9, 2016 #8
    Ok, I will open a free account. Thanks for sharing.

10. Jul 9, 2016 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. Jul 9, 2016 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted