Area divided by linear function

In summary, the original problem for anyone that can read Chinese is to find a linear function y = ax that can spilt the polygon into two parts each with the same area. However, the problem may require some math insight which the original poster does not have.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
The original problem for anyone that can read Chinese:
https://zerojudge.tw/ShowProblem?problemid=b221
The problem defines a convex polygon with multiple points located in the first quadrant and the required task is to find a linear function y = ax that can spilt the polygon into two parts each with the same area.(The “a” can be within the accuracy of 0.02 from the actual answer,see why in a second)

Since this is actually a program question (Like the ones on Project Euler or UVa) so I originally wrote a program that basically tries every possible a value from y-axis to x-axis(via survey formula),but my program fail to finish in the time limit,so I think this problem may require some math insight which I don’t have.

Are there any suggestions on how this might have been done?Since it leaves a space for error,does it has something to do with calculus?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The two areas are monotone with respect to the angle of your straight line: Increase the angle relative to the x-axis and the upper area will never increase while the lower area will never decrease. Instead of trying everything you can find the optimal solution iteratively.

You also don't have to recompute the area each time, extrapolating from the previous value should work reasonably well once you are somewhat close to the solution.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Young physicist said:
The problem defines a convex polygon with multiple points located in the first quadrant and the required task is to find a linear function y = ax that can spilt the polygon into two parts each with the same area.(The “a” can be within the accuracy of 0.02 from the actual answer,see why in a second)

Young physicist said:
Since this is actually a program question (Like the ones on Project Euler or UVa) so I originally wrote a program that basically tries every possible a value from y-axis to x-axis(via survey formula),but my program fail to finish in the time limit,so I think this problem may require some math insight which I don’t have.
First, it's not possible to try "every possible a value," since a is a real number, and there are uncountably many of them. However, if you're writing a computer program, there are only a finite number of floating point values between any two adjacent integers, due to the limited storage used by floating point numbers. It would be possible to check all of the floating point values for a between, say 0 and 1, but it would take some time to do this.

Second, I don't understand what you are saying here: "a program that basically tries every possible a value from y-axis to x-axis..." The equation of the line is ##y = ax##, so it crosses the x and y axes at the origin and nowhere else. The line y = ax does not cross from the x-axis to the y-axis.

How I would solve the problem:
1. Calculate the area A of the polygon, using Heron's formula (do a web search if you don't know it)
2. Determine the smallest value of a so that the line y = ax intersects the polygon only at a corner point
3. Increment a by some fixed amount
4. Find the two points on the polygon at which the current line y = ax intersects the polgon
5. Find the area of either part of the intersected polygon
6. If the area you found equals A/2 (or is close enough), then stop.
7. Otherwise, go to step 3.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Faster: Find the smallest and largest value of a for an intersection (let's call them B and C). Take the average (or the average angle - a bit more time-consuming to calculate but gives a better result) D, check which area is larger (if we are not within the tolerance yet), consider (B+D)/2 or (C+D)/2 as next value for a, depending on which side was larger. Repeat, reducing the remaining search space by a factor 2 each time.

Even faster: Do some interpolation instead of simple averages. As an example, if the upper area was 55% of the total area, we are probably quite close to the target value already and should search closer to that number.

Likes YoungPhysicist
@mfb and@Mark44:
My point is that I make the program to try the a value from 0.02 all th way to 100 with every 0.02 as a step,that is good enough for this case,sorry for the mistake above:-p

I thought that was too slow?
Young physicist said:
but my program fail to finish in the time limit

Steps of 0.04 would be sufficient, by the way.

mfb said:
I thought that was too slow?
Yeah,that’s why I post the problem on this forum

Then why do you say it is good enough in post 5?

Cause the time limit for the test point is 2 seconds and each testppint have 40 to 50 polygons to deal with in a row,and my original program takes 1 second per polygon,which clearly won’t make it.

What is "Area divided by linear function"?

"Area divided by linear function" is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the ratio of the area of a shape to the length of a linear function, such as a line or curve.

How is "Area divided by linear function" used in science?

In science, "Area divided by linear function" is often used to analyze and understand the relationship between two variables. It can be used to calculate the slope of a graph, which is a measure of the rate of change between the two variables.

What is the formula for calculating "Area divided by linear function"?

The formula for "Area divided by linear function" is A/l, where A represents the area and l represents the length of the linear function. This can also be written as A divided by l.

Can "Area divided by linear function" be applied to any shape?

Yes, "Area divided by linear function" can be applied to any shape as long as the area and length of the linear function can be measured or calculated.

What is the significance of "Area divided by linear function" in real-world applications?

"Area divided by linear function" has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to analyze data, determine the rate of change, and make predictions about future trends.