Calculus Question on Removable Discontinuity

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find a removable discontinuity by plugging in x=0 into two equations and combining them. The first equation gives an answer of 0 and the second gives an answer of 7, but when combined, the values do not match up. The solution is to redefine f(0) to be equal to the limit of the combined fractions. This can be done by finding a common denominator and simplifying the fractions.
dsafs
upload_2014-10-12_22-29-54.png

I don't entirely understand the question which is why I am posting it here. Anyways, from what the question is asking;we are trying to find the removable discontinuity. This would be plugging in x=0 into both equation and combining them. When this is applied to the first equation, the answer is 0. For the second one, it is 7. So, when the question asks me to combine them, I really don't know what to do with the values. Please Help! I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first expression doesn't give you 0 at x=0. It's undefined. Follow the suggestion and combine the fractions and simplify!

A function, f(x), has a "removable discontinuity" at x= a when [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex] exists but is NOT equal to f(a). You "remove" the discontinuity by redefining f(a) to be equal to [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex].

So for this problem, you need to determine what [tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{4}{x}+ \frac{-x+ 16}{x(x- 4)}[/tex] is and redefine f(0) to be that number. As the problem says, start by getting "common denominators" and adding the two fractions.

1. What is a removable discontinuity in calculus?

A removable discontinuity, also known as a point of discontinuity, is a point on a graph where the function is undefined or has a hole, but can be made continuous by filling in the hole.

2. How do you identify a removable discontinuity on a graph?

A removable discontinuity can be identified by looking for a point on the graph where the function has a hole or is undefined, but the function approaches the same value from both sides of the hole.

3. Can a function have more than one removable discontinuity?

Yes, a function can have multiple removable discontinuities. This occurs when there are multiple points on the graph where the function has a hole or is undefined, but the function approaches the same value from both sides.

4. How do you remove a discontinuity in a function?

To remove a discontinuity in a function, you can use a process called "limiting." This involves finding the limit of the function as it approaches the point of discontinuity, and then replacing the undefined point with the limit value.

5. Why are removable discontinuities important in calculus?

Removable discontinuities are important in calculus because they allow us to make a function continuous at a specific point, which can help us analyze and understand the behavior of the function. They also play a role in determining the domain and range of a function.