Calculus Troubles: Finding Limits and Understanding 0/0

In summary, the conversation discusses finding limits in calculus and how to determine if the limit exists or not. The participants also mention the use of graphs and approaching values from both sides to determine the existence of a limit. They also clarify that saying a limit is positive infinity is equivalent to saying it does not exist due to the values increasing without an upper bound.
cvc121

Homework Statement

Find the following limits, if they exist.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have just started calculus and am having trouble with 3 a). I get 0/0 after substitution so I factored but still get 0 in the denominator. Does this indicate that the limit does not exist? Am I doing the questions correctly? My work is attached below. Thanks! All help is very much appreciated.
View attachment 96417https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/96417/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're taking the limit of a constant (3) divided by something which approaches zero. What do you get if you divide a positive constant by an infinitesimal quantity?

Undefined = DNE?

Or would it be positive infinity?

You could also consider the graph of ##\frac{x+2}{x-1}##. It should be clear from that that the limit doesn't exist.

cvc121 said:
Or would it be positive infinity?
Yes, but you can approach 1 from both sides. ##lim_{x\rightarrow 1^+} \frac{x+2}{x-1}## must be equal to ##lim_{x\rightarrow 1^-} \frac{x+2}{x-1}## for the limit to exist. Are they?

Likes SammyS
Saying that a limit "is positive infinity" is just saying that "the limit does not exist" but giving a specific reason- that the values get larger and larger and larger without upper bound, as opposed to getting lower and lower without lower bound or jumping around without getting close to anyone specific number.

HallsofIvy said:
Saying that a limit "is positive infinity" is just saying that "the limit does not exist" but giving a specific reason- that the values get larger and larger and larger without upper bound, as opposed to getting lower and lower without lower bound or jumping around without getting close to anyone specific number.

Very nice explanation.

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to find the value that a function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution, factoring, and simplification. You can also use graphical methods, such as creating a table of values or using a graphing calculator. Additionally, you can use calculus techniques, such as the Squeeze Theorem or L'Hopital's Rule.

3. What does it mean when the limit of a function is undefined?

If the limit of a function is undefined, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as the input approaches a certain value. This can occur when the function has a vertical asymptote, a jump, or a break in the graph.

4. What does it mean when a limit evaluates to 0/0?

When a limit evaluates to 0/0, it means that the function is approaching a value of 0 in the numerator and a value of 0 in the denominator. This can occur when the function has a removable discontinuity, meaning there is a hole in the graph that can be filled in to create a continuous function.

5. How do I solve 0/0 in a limit?

To solve 0/0 in a limit, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplification, or rationalizing the numerator or denominator. You can also use calculus techniques, such as applying L'Hopital's Rule or using a table of values to estimate the limit. If all else fails, the limit may be undefined.