Cosby puts his money where his mouth is

• News
  • Thread starter member 5645
  • Start date
russ_watters said:
I agree with the first part, but for the second - How exactly would you improve parenting by spending money?
through information and education... night and daytime classes e.g. how do you propose teaching them the importance of good parenting and good nutrition without spending money?

through information and education... night and daytime classes e.g. how do you propose teaching them the importance of good parenting and good nutrition without spending money?

These parents are often the same ones that slept through their Nutrition class in high school. What is going to motivate them to attend such meetings? Good information on nutrition is easily available for anyone that wants to know.

member 5645
balkan said:

Do you think a parent that is not taking care of their child is doing so because they just can't figure it out, or because they simply dont care?

"Oh, I didn't know that Twinkies were unhealthy. Thank you so much for that helpful information."

phatmonky said:
Do you think a parent that is not taking care of their child is doing so because they just can't figure it out, or because they simply dont care?
JohnDubYa said:
These parents are often the same ones that slept through their Nutrition class in high school. What is going to motivate them to attend such meetings? Good information on nutrition is easily available for anyone that wants to know.

most do care, but simply don't know how... people really do think that burgers with ligth fries are healthy...

if they do think their food is nutritious and they're treating their kids great, why would they wanna go seek information on nutrition and parenting? i mean, they've learned from their own parents, and they did fine...
a few people would but most wouldn't...

john, are you interessted in the problem being solved or are you just *****ing about anything that could cost you tax dollars? it sounds like the latter...
people aren't aware and won't solve the problem on their own, so you have to do something, if you wish to resolve the problem... if you don't, then just go rigth ahead and say that instead... yes they can find information on their own, but they're not doing it... sometimes you have to slap people in their face to get their attention...

if you do wish to offer a solution, i sure as hell would like to hear it... you're so good at critisizing, but is that all?

i have an idea of what your solution is, though:
"people just have to teach their kids rigth, and everyone should get a job and buy healthy food"... voila! and without spending a dime... and you solved the unemployment problem as well... it will of course help even more to lower the taxes and cut financing to the public schools...

member 5645
balkan said:
most do care, but simply don't know how... people really do think that burgers with ligth fries are healthy...

if they do think their food is nutritious and they're treating their kids great, why would they wanna go seek information on nutrition and parenting? i mean, they've learned from their own parents, and they did fine...
a few people would but most

Don't take a offense:
Can you back up these statements? It seems common knowledge that fast food is bad for you, but many say they don't care because it's so easy and cheap. Afterall, we DO learn basic nutrition in school (a veiled course that covers how not to make yourself a fatass)
I'd sure hate to spend BILLLIONS on setting up programs if they have no data to show they will work.

phatmonky said:
Don't take a offense:
Can you back up these statements? It seems common knowledge that fast food is bad for you, but many say they don't care because it's so easy and cheap. Afterall, we DO learn basic nutrition in school (a veiled course that covers how not to make yourself a fatass)
I'd sure hate to spend BILLLIONS on setting up programs if they have no data to show they will work.

i sure as hell would hate it too, so if you have any reasonable alternatives, feel free to do something else than critisize :wink:

i'm not just talking about fast food though, i'm talking food in general... it doesn't really matter if the kids learn how to eat, cause when they get home, they're going to have to eat what's on the table... the parents must learn aswell, and they don't have a history of being very willing to being taught by their children... (it took my own mom about a decade to figure out that it doesn't matter how much salad you put on the table when the potatoes and meat is roasted in butter and chicken grease...)

all you have to do is turn ricky lake or oprah on, and you'll see salutes to fat people... "fat is beautifull" and i can't remember all their slogans... some celebrities are even doing it, saying it's healthy being fat, because you get plenty of fuel for the brain (although the brain demands sugar (i.e. carbonhydrates) and not fat:rolleyes: )

it's prolly too late to learn parents today the value of inciting their children, but it's not too late to teach the children...

i sure as hell would hate it too, so if you have any reasonable alternatives, feel free to do something else than critisize

I have a reasonable alternative: Don't spend the money on a program that will likely fail.

i'm not just talking about fast food though, i'm talking food in general... it doesn't really matter if the kids learn how to eat, cause when they get home, they're going to have to eat what's on the table... the parents must learn aswell, and they don't have a history of being very willing to being taught by their children... (it took my own mom about a decade to figure out that it doesn't matter how much salad you put on the table when the potatoes and meat is roasted in butter and chicken grease...)

I fail to see how being fed meat that is roasted in butter and chicken grease has any adverse affect on a child's ability to do well in school. You could feed these kids lobster and it isn't going to make them better students.

it's prolly too late to learn parents today the value of inciting their children, but it's not too late to teach the children...

Interview those that walk into a KFC sometime and see if they really think that the food they are being served is healthy. I would bet that most would say "No, but I like it anyway."

Better yet, hold up a picture of a salad and a bacon cheeseburger and ask which of the two the customer thinks is healthier. Now ask which one he plans to purchase. I think most McDonalds employees will tell you that they sell a Hell of a lot more hamburgers than salads.

Fat tastes good. And as long as fat tastes good, people will buy it. And I don't care how much "learnin'" you plan on dishing out, unhealthy food will always be popular.

russ_watters
Mentor
balkan said:
through information and education... night and daytime classes e.g.
And you expect some parents will actually go to these classes? And after they go, some might even follow some of the advice? I'm not nearly that optomistic.
most do care, but simply don't know how...
I'm not that optomistic either.

And you expect some parents will actually go to these classes?

If they offer free hot dogs and coke they might.

i fail to see how those were suggestions... so it was true... all you can do is critisize...
i was asked how i would solve the problems with the american school system and you people yourself mentioned the parental issues... furthermore, the question arose about nutrition... i don't remember who spun it to be about obesid kids, as it was first about the advantage of having free/very cheap, good food in schools in order to make poor people send their kids to school, so they knowthey'll be fed right = two positive things... (and no, not all schools have decent food for the kids)... but i tried to find a rational solution to the problem...

you guys, on the other hand, are obviously incapable of anything but complaining and moaning... i find that very annoying, and you're wasting everybodys time...

russ_watters
Mentor
balkan said:
i fail to see how those were suggestions... so it was true... all you can do is critisize...
I never said I has a suggestion. But here's a start: parents shouldn't do/sell drugs, beat each other/their kids, be members of gangs, have kids out of wedlock, etc. Very little of that is in the government's control.

About the only thing the government could do to fix the problem would be massive boarding schools for kids in bad families (compulsory, of course). Expensive (I never said I was against spending money), but it could work (I am against doing things with little/no chance of success).

btw, when asked, I will always give a suggestion. There is nothing I hate more than hippie bumper stickers that say "War is not the answer."

i was asked how i would solve the problems with the american school system and you people yourself mentioned the parental issues... furthermore, the question arose about nutrition...

IIRC, you are the one that started the banter about nutrition.

i don't remember who spun it to be about obesid kids, as it was first about the advantage of having free/very cheap, good food in schools in order to make poor people send their kids to school, so they knowthey'll be fed right = two positive things... (and no, not all schools have decent food for the kids)... but i tried to find a rational solution to the problem...

State laws require public schools to provide lunches that pass nutrition standards. Suffice to say that if a kid develops a nutritional deficiency, the problem is at home.

And your solution wasn't rational; it was pollyanna.

you guys, on the other hand, are obviously incapable of anything but complaining and moaning... i find that very annoying, and you're wasting everybodys time...

WE'RE the ones complaining? You have to be kidding me. Look over your threads and point out the number that are positive in tone. You could probably count them on one hand, especially in regards to Irag, the US, and our President.