Calories not used for digestion while fasting

In summary, a friend with limited knowledge of biology believes that occasional fasting is beneficial due to the body's ability to use stored fat for energy during this time. However, this belief is not supported by scientific research and overlooks the fact that the body needs nutrients to survive. Fasting can actually be harmful to the body and should not be used as a means of healing. Additionally, the body's energy management is not as simple as using calories from one source to repair problems in another. Fasting can also lead to a decrease in glucose levels, which is essential for the brain to function. Finally, the argument that fat stores are "emergency energy" is flawed, as the body requires glucose to survive and fat conversion is a slower and less efficient
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I wish to counter my friend's assertion that benefits from fasting come partly from the availability of calories that would have otherwise been used for digestion. I know enough biology to know that this is too simplistic, but not enough to formulate a good argument.
A friend, whose knowledge of biology comes primarily from pseudoscientific works, considers occasional fasting beneficial -- on this I will not take a stand, because as far as I know, the jury is still out on this. However, his justifications are annoying, (To paraphrase a notorious quotation, when I hear the word "cleansing", I reach for my gun.) His reasoning is that, since one is not using the calories from either food or stored fat to execute all the processes connected to digestion, then these calories -- coming mainly from stored body fat during fasting -- would then allow the body to repair problems in the various mechanisms such as autophagy and the functions of organs (liver, kidney, lungs, skin, etc.). To my mind, the body's management of energy is not just a quantity that can be applied where ever it may be needed, but rather must be called up by specific pathways, and the absence of one does not imply the increase in another. However, I don't have sufficient grounding in the details to be able to formulate a cogent reply. Any input would be appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
A friend, whose knowledge of biology comes primarily from pseudoscientific works ...
Then using logic with him is likely to be useless.

Likes pinball1970
Recent research I read within the last year showed that energy usage is not constant. If you do not eat for 6-8 hours then the brain sends signals to the body to slow down it's energy consumption to preserve energy in anticipation of a prolonged period of no food intake. When you then eat after that point the body acknowledges that energy is going to come into the system and so sends the signal that energy can then be consumed again at normal level for bodily functions. It is believed this is ancient biological mechanism of the body from the days when we were hunter/gatherers and could not guarantee when the next meal would come. It's relatively new research and I canot recall where I read this to link to it.

Regardless of any latest research data, the body needs nutrients to survive. To think that depriving it of nutrients would somehow promote the body is heal itself better than if it had the nutrients required is just plain silly.

Fat stores are "emergency energy" to be used when no food is avialable, this is again an ancient biological mechanism to store unused energy for later use when food is not available. This mechanism works brilliantly well, just look at all the overweight people in the world (myself included.) If fat conversion to energy could provide all that is required to survive then it would not be unhealthy to starve yourself to lose weight, we know this method is very counter-productive and though you will lose weight, you would not be healthy loosing weight in this manner.

Likes nomadreid
MikeeMiracle, thanks, that is well stated, and I can easily find the relevant sources.
Contrary to
phinds said:
Then using logic with him is likely to be useless.
I can use it by not presenting the whole argument all at once, but get him to admit one point at a time. Sometimes that works, even if he is "schooled" by pseudoscience. The summary by MikeeMiracle is about the right level, because of course the best would be for my friend to attend a good biology course (as well as to understand what the scientific method is), but I have to work with what I have. I will look up some of the details, following MikeeMiracle's outline, so that I myself know what I am talking about, not to give my friend all the details (since there is a point when most persons not used to science rebel against detail).

Calories are required to break down fat, with a higher return of energy. Anyway, fasting for the short short term there is no fat involved.

Your body has a short term reserve for glucose: glycogen. It breaks down on hydrolysis, which requires less energy to start the reaction than converting fat into glucose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen
The underlying assumption of your friend's argument needs a tune up:

The REE (resting energy expenditure) is in part made up of calories burned by the brain in the form of glucose. People in the sports exercise field use 20% of REE minimum as the requirement for the brain. And they assume 6% of REE is for resting skeletal muscle. The rest goes for heat generation (we are homeothermic), energy for organs like the heart and the alimentary canal. Peristalsis goes on even during fasting. So does extraction of nitrogenous waste in the kidney. The gut transit time for humans averages between 24 and 48 hours -- in one end, out the other. This means your gut is still processing food from yesterday, as we speak. ... I know, too much detail.

No glucose = dead brain.

Glycogen is the first defense against that. What distance runners refer to as carbohydrate loading.
Eat lots of pasta and for a while after that, glycogen stores are high. Therefore their bodies can call on them during a prolonged run to get glucose pretty efficiently. Fat "burning" is a slower, somewhat less metabolically efficient process than the hydrolysis of glycogen into glucose. Consider reading the link above.

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid and pinball1970
nomadreid said:
His reasoning is that, since one is not using the calories from either food or stored fat to execute all the processes connected to digestion, then these calories -- coming mainly from stored body fat during fasting -- would then allow the body to repair problems in the various mechanisms such as autophagy and the functions of organs (liver, kidney, lungs, skin, etc.).
This is not logically consistent, which is at least part of the reason it is wrong. The body does indeed manage its energy expenditure (though I doubt it can go above what is "normal" for certain functions), but the entire point of fasting is to have less energy available, so your body is forced to cannibalize itself. This means that your body almost immediately starts reducing the energy expenditure of all functions it can, including healing.

Likes nomadreid
In my experience, there are often germs of truth (no pun intended...) in folk medicine although the explanations do not make scientific sense and are almost certainly bogus.
In this case I direct you to all the recent fascinating research implicating the biome in our gut to a host of immune functionality. The effects of fasting may if fact be very complicated when seen through this lens. I think mainstream medicine would, until recently, have dismissed much of that with disdain. Maybe less-so now.
But I'm a physicist...so what do I know

Likes nomadreid
Thank you, jim mcnamara, russ_watters and hutchphd. All this is very useful. Some comments and questions: starting with
hutchphd said:
research implicating the biome in our gut to a host of immune functionality.
I assume you are referring to things like
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5988561/
https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/67/9/1867
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...ing-the-microbiome,-study-finds-94489935.html
indicating that intermittent fasting may have benefits (albeit via other mechanisms than the "energy-saving" argument), although the exact mechanism is not yet clear (so we are at the stage of correlation, not yet to causation). Another aspect of looking at the gut biome (causation) would seem to be that fasting deprives the gut biome of the nutrients which they require to survive So I am not sure what the balance would be here.

MikeeMiracle said:
Regardless of any latest research data, the body needs nutrients to survive. To think that depriving it of nutrients would somehow promote the body is heal itself better than if it had the nutrients required is just plain silly.
The end result, whether beneficial or harmful or, more likely, both, of fasting will be due to a number of factors, and the lack of nutrients would be, as mentioned above, one factor in the harmful side, but the links above indicate that there may perhaps be (with emphasis on "perhaps") other factors that might weigh in on the beneficial side in terms of gut health. In other words, I am not against my friend's conclusion that intermittent fasting is beneficial -- I do not know, nor do I think anyone does -- but against his form of reasoning.

Next, a question about
jim mcnamara said:
20% of REE minimum as the requirement for the brain
How does that figure jive with
"The brain lacks fuel stores and hence requires a continuous supply of glucose. It consumes about 120 g daily, which corresponds to an energy input of about 420 kcal (1760 kJ), accounting for some 60% of the utilization of glucose by the whole body in the resting state. " (from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22436/)
Anyway,
MikeeMiracle said:
It is believed this is ancient biological mechanism of the body from the days when we were hunter/gatherers and could not guarantee when the next meal would come.
(I don't know why one always refers to hunter-gatherers, as it would be more accurate to refer to our pre-agricultural ancestors as hunters-gatherers-scavengers, but that is a side point.) Are you referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_response ?

russ_watters said:
your body almost immediately starts reducing the energy expenditure of all functions it can

True, but according to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22436/, this is not uniform across all functions -- I tend to think that there would have been an evolutionary advantage to make sure that the body gives more priority to those functions which are more necessary for survival. (Sort of like embassies who first evacuate all "non-essential personnel" in times of crisis.)

nomadreid said:
True, but according to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22436/, this is not uniform across all functions -- I tend to think that there would have been an evolutionary advantage to make sure that the body gives more priority to those functions which are more necessary for survival.
It does. But 'not reducing as much as other functions' is still reducing, not increasing.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, every one, for your very helpful replies, which have enabled me to formulate an appropriate response to my friend. (I also followed the links and research suggestions -- oh, and I understood that the source I cited in Post #8 about the percentage of energy used by the brain was, after checking other sources, apparently mistaken.) Whether it will convince him remains to be seen, but I will have done all I can.

1. What happens to the calories that are not used for digestion while fasting?

When you are fasting, your body goes into a state of energy conservation. This means that your metabolism slows down and your body uses stored energy, such as fat, for fuel. The calories that are not used for digestion are stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles, and can also be used for energy during fasting.

2. Will not using calories for digestion while fasting lead to weight loss?

Yes, not using calories for digestion while fasting can lead to weight loss. When your body is in a state of energy conservation, it uses stored energy (fat) for fuel. This can result in weight loss over time if you are consistently fasting and not consuming excess calories during your eating periods.

3. Can fasting help improve metabolism by not using calories for digestion?

There is some evidence that intermittent fasting can improve metabolism by not using calories for digestion during fasting periods. This is because fasting can activate certain metabolic pathways that promote fat burning and increase energy expenditure. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effects of fasting on metabolism.

4. Are there any negative effects of not using calories for digestion while fasting?

While there are potential benefits to not using calories for digestion while fasting, there can also be negative effects. Prolonged fasting can lead to nutrient deficiencies and potential health risks, such as low blood sugar and dehydration. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any fasting regimen.

5. How can I ensure I am getting enough nutrients while fasting and not using calories for digestion?

To ensure you are getting enough nutrients while fasting and not using calories for digestion, it is important to focus on nutrient-dense foods during your eating periods. This includes foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. It is also important to stay hydrated and consider taking a multivitamin or supplement if needed.