Calories Required to Raise the Temp of Aluminum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminum Calories
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Mentor
Messages
23,212
Reaction score
7,701

Homework Statement



How many calories are required to raise the temperature of 26 grams of aluminum from 20°C to 115°C?

Homework Equations



Specific heat of aluminum is 0.22 cal / g x °C

Amount of heat = SH x mass x (T2-T1)

The Attempt at a Solution



Plugging numbers into the 2nd equation gives me:

cal = 0.22 x 26 x 95
cal = 543.4

So I get 543.4 calories as the answer, or 5.4 x 102 calories. However, my workbook only has the following as possible answers:

5.4 x 10+1
5.4 x 10-1
5.4 x 10+3
5.4 x 10-3

Have I missed something here, or is my workbook wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer, Drakkith. It seems to me that your workbook has a typo, unless you copied some of the information incorrectly.
 
Mark44 said:
I agree with your answer, Drakkith. It seems to me that your workbook has a typo, unless you copied some of the information incorrectly.

Nope, that's exactly what it says.
Thanks guys.