Chem: Ksp & deltaG for Ag2CO3 at 20C and 100C

• Thread starter Doobwa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Ksp
In summary: I think you've got the right idea. I think perhaps you've just made a small error in your calculations. In summary, the problem involves calculating Ksp and G° in kJ/mol for Ag2CO3 at two different temperatures. The attempt at a solution involves determining the solubility of Ag2CO3 at each temperature and using the solubility to calculate the concentration of Ag+ and CO3- ions, which are then used to calculate Ksp. The actual answer is 2.77e-11.
Doobwa
Hello! I've just completed this homework problem but got ALL answers incorrect. I really thought I knew what I was doing so I'm kind of surprised. Could someone help point out what I had done wrong?

Homework Statement

Ag2CO3, is considerably more soluble in hot than in cold water. At 20 °C, 0.0032 g of this compound dissolves in 0.100 L of water, but 0.050 g dissolves at 100.0 °C. Calculate Ksp and G° in kJ/mol at each temperature.

Homework Equations

Ksp=[Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]][itex]^{2}[/itex][CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]]
deltaG=-RTlnKsp.
Solubility=(mass)/(volume)(molar mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I went wrong with figuring out Ksp. I believe if I knew what I had done wrong here, I could easily solve the rest, so I'll just show my work for this portion.

At 20C (293.15K) 0.0032g of Ag2CO3 dissolves in 0.100L of water. Molar mass of Ag2CO3 found to be 275.75g/mol.

Solubility of Ag2CO3= (0.0032g)/(0.100L)(275.75g/mol)=1.160471442e-4M
Ag2CO3[itex]\searrow[/itex]2Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]+CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]
[Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]]=2.320942884e-4M
[CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]]=1.160471442e-4M

Ksp=[Ag[itex]^{+}[/itex]][itex]^{2}[/itex][CO3[itex]^{-}[/itex]]
=(2.320942884e-4)[itex]^{2}[/itex](1.160471442e-4)
=6.25e-12

Actual answer: 2.77e-11

I really appreciate any guidance you can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with your working. For comparison I referred to a very similar exercise here: http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/howtosolveit/equilibrium/solubility_products.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the value of the solubility product constant (Ksp) for Ag2CO3 at 20°C and 100°C?

The value of Ksp for Ag2CO3 at 20°C is approximately 4.5 x 10^-12 and at 100°C is approximately 6.3 x 10^-9.

What is the relationship between Ksp and the solubility of a compound?

Ksp is the equilibrium constant for the dissolution of a compound in water. It is directly related to the solubility of the compound, with a higher Ksp indicating a more soluble compound.

How does the temperature affect the solubility of Ag2CO3?

As temperature increases, the solubility of Ag2CO3 also increases. This is due to the endothermic nature of the dissolution process, which is favored at higher temperatures.

What is the standard free energy change (ΔG°) for the dissolution of Ag2CO3 at 20°C and 100°C?

The standard free energy change for the dissolution of Ag2CO3 at 20°C is approximately 26 kJ/mol and at 100°C is approximately 21 kJ/mol.

How can the solubility of Ag2CO3 be calculated using Ksp and ΔG°?

The solubility of Ag2CO3 can be calculated using the formula: [Ag2CO3] = (Ksp * e^(-ΔG°/RT))^2, where R is the gas constant (8.314 J/mol*K) and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This formula takes into account the effects of both Ksp and ΔG° on the solubility of the compound.