Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cambridge scientists figure out way to make 60yr lightbulb cheaply

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    very cool. i wonder if there's a catch:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...-saving-lightbulb-that-last-for-60-years.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    This just in: manufacturers found that 60 year light bulbs don't work as claimed.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled: throw it away after a month and buy another one program.

lol. if I were a manufacturer, why the hell would I praise this?

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Long lifetime GaN LEDs are not new - they've been around for about a decade (and most of them haven't died yet).

I think the breakthrough is likely in the substrate material. So far, GaN on sapphire has worked well, but the sapphire substrates are not cheap. There are a bunch of groups that have been trying to grow GaN on a cheaper substrate (like Si). My first guess would be that's what the Cambridge group figured out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?