1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Can a BS in chemistry do whatever a BS in physics does?

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    I'm solely talking about recent grads in these two fields. The job market for chemists is pretty dismal; I'd imagine it's more true for physicists, is it not? But it seems to me the skills learned under these two degrees are quite similar...I mean any physics BS can work as a labrat and any chemist BS can do calculations designing fuelcells.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2
    Well, for instance, could a graduate in physics interpret NMRs, or propose retrosynthetic schemes for molecules?

I'm sure there is a lot of overlap in terms of general transferables, but there is also likely to be work that only chemistry or physics grads will have enough of a handle on to be reasonably successful in

4. Jul 28, 2012 #3
    the skillsets are quite different. chemists think differently from physicists, even physical chemists and condensed matter physicists think very differently about the same problem. they don't even think about silicon the same way, so why would they think of anything else the same way?

the JOB market is OK for BS level chemists. it wasn't hard to get an analytical tech position. its boring and the pay is low but its work. the high paying job market requires some sort of advanced degree, management experience, or sales records. For the grad level, I think specialization matters greatly.

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4
    By saying the pay is low what do you mean?
    Could you give us a range of what to expect? I assume someone in your case should make more then someone with a lib. Arts. Or buss. Mjor.?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook