1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer to chemical engineering from BS in chemistry?

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    Hi.
    I'm currently an undergraduate student studying for a BS in chemistry and doing pre-pharm courses (I wanted backup career). I've taken anatomy and orgo lectures and labs. What I enjoy from orgo class was that they give you a start and an end, you fill in the rest. I like problems that are like puzzles where you use logic to solve them. I also enjoy solving math problems since they are logical. Orgo lab was less enjoyable because I get bore looking at procedures and doing them. Also, because I have shaky hands, it was annoying to do things like massing or using a pipette.

I've been looking at forums and seeing that the job markets for pharmacist and BS in chemistry are getting worse.
    So I wanted to know if I should transfer to a chemistry engineering degree. Strictly speaking, I only want to get Bachelor degree right now, without going to graduate school (college debts pretty much won't let me).

If I do transfer to chemical engineering, then it will add 2 extra semesters to my expected graduation date along with (+10k-15k of debt).

The things I want from my degree are

-good job outlook being the most important
    -prefer a salary of 40k+ after graduating.

Personal hobby: drawing, web design, and programming.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2
    Where does "enjoying what you are doing" fit in on your list of priorities?

You haven't said anything about the possibility of bio engineering.

Chet

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    I mainly enjoy solving logical problems. For example, I can sit around solving math problems for hours without losing much focus if given the time. So that's why I had an interest in science, but I also want a degree that will lessen my worry of not being able to find a job.

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4
    I also looked at bio engineering, but not certain about job prospect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook