1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Can a math professor have Physics and Math in PhDs or some degrees like BA/MA?

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    I am wondering if this is possible to have such a path. Can a math professor take physic PhD to do mathematical physics and math PhD to do the research on mathematic topics?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You maybe want to reword your question.

Courses of study from any of Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or other sciences can support each other. A physicist may have more mathematics courses credited than were necessary; or a mathematician could have more Physics course credit than necessary for his mathematical work. Realize that faculty from one university department may teach classes/courses in another university department. I remember a few like that. One professor who taught computer science where I went also taught some Physics courses. Which department was he in officially? No memory, but his instruction was fairly good in both.

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I took another look at your title of the topic.

Find what degrees your professors have. You may find that for some of them, the BA or BS was in one field and their PhD is in another field, either somewhat related or strongly related.

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4
    I mean can a mathematic professor take the certain highest degree (like BA, MA or PhD) in Physics while taking PhD in Math? Wonder if that is possible. I'm interested in becoming one because I'm so delved into such subjects.

6. Oct 6, 2012 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

If you mean obtaining two PhDs then yes it's possible, and I read of some that did it.

The question really is "Don't you have a life?"

7. Oct 6, 2012 #6
    Yep, I do, but I don't want to get too crazy with this!

8. Oct 23, 2012 #7
    That depends on how you define having 'a life'. I think pursuing a knowledge of the true workings of the universe is a very noble life, indeed.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook