Can a math professor have Physics and Math in PhDs or some degrees like BA/MA?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
NasuSama
Messages
323
Reaction score
3
I am wondering if this is possible to have such a path. Can a math professor take physics PhD to do mathematical physics and math PhD to do the research on mathematic topics?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You maybe want to reword your question.

Courses of study from any of Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or other sciences can support each other. A physicist may have more mathematics courses credited than were necessary; or a mathematician could have more Physics course credit than necessary for his mathematical work. Realize that faculty from one university department may teach classes/courses in another university department. I remember a few like that. One professor who taught computer science where I went also taught some Physics courses. Which department was he in officially? No memory, but his instruction was fairly good in both.
 
I took another look at your title of the topic.

Find what degrees your professors have. You may find that for some of them, the BA or BS was in one field and their PhD is in another field, either somewhat related or strongly related.
 
symbolipoint said:
You maybe want to reword your question.

I mean can a mathematic professor take the certain highest degree (like BA, MA or PhD) in Physics while taking PhD in Math? Wonder if that is possible. I'm interested in becoming one because I'm so delved into such subjects.
 
If you mean obtaining two PhDs then yes it's possible, and I read of some that did it.

The question really is "Don't you have a life?"
 
MathematicalPhysicist said:
If you mean obtaining two PhDs then yes it's possible, and I read of some that did it.

The question really is "Don't you have a life?"

Yep, I do, but I don't want to get too crazy with this!
 
MathematicalPhysicist said:
The question really is "Don't you have a life?"

That depends on how you define having 'a life'. I think pursuing a knowledge of the true workings of the universe is a very noble life, indeed.
 
Last edited: