Can a Physics Degree Lead to a Career in Military Weapon Development?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter HomeRunHomer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Systems
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
HomeRunHomer
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I've always been interested in weapons such as rockets and guns, but also in physics. I want to know if I can get a degree in physics and work for the military developing new types of weapons, or if it would be better pursuing engineering rather than physics if I want to work for the military.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The military and contractors hire physicists and engineers over a broad range of disciplines.
 
HomeRunHomer said:
I've always been interested in weapons such as rockets and guns, but also in physics. I want to know if I can get a degree in physics and work for the military developing new types of weapons, or if it would be better pursuing engineering rather than physics if I want to work for the military.

Weapons systems are not designed by the military but rather by civilian defense contractors or by government labs like Los Alamos or Sandia. The defense contractors are just your standard variety employers and hire people with standard degrees.
 
n1person said:
Something to consider if your interested in working in defense engineering: http://smart.asee.org/

Also, do you mind me asking how old you are?

I'm barely about to enter university.