Can a potential act in a small region of spacetime?

In summary, the potential might give the wave-function a localized sharp "kick" that perturbs the wave-function of a localized charged particle.
Spinnor
Gold Member
I would like to perturb the wave-function of a localized charged particle with a potential that is close to a delta function in space and time. Do Maxwell's equations prevent such a potential in theory if not in practice?

If so can I in a very loose sense think of the potential as giving the wave-function a localized sharp "kick"?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• aaaaa147.jpg
    aaaaa147.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I don't know how to interpret your sketch; can you tell me what's on that graph? I'd love to know :)

PhilDSP said:
Hi Spinnor,

While the Maxwell equations don't provide you with any means of determining a unique electric potential or magnetic potential there are several ways of determining retarded potentials such as Liénard–Wiechert potentials and Jefimenko's equation (which is more advanced in conception and potentially more useful)...

Thank you for your help! My question might not be clear? My first concern is if the following potential might be realized or in a similar form for the purposes of perturbing the wave-function of a localized charged particle,

V(X,t) = positive constant*δ(X)*δ(t)

where the delta functions were smeared out, peaked and finite, not infinite, like a very sharp Gaussian in both space and time, and X coincides with some small part of the localized particle.

Thanks for any help!

TriTertButoxy said:
Also, I don't know how to interpret your sketch; can you tell me what's on that graph? I'd love to know :)

I will include a better sketch below. I think I messed up the signs on the sketch? I should probably refer to time dependent perturbation theory but if we use a delta function like potential we might cut some corners but still get a feeling for what is "going on"?

Consider the ground state of particle of mass m and charge e constrained to a one dimensional distance L. The wave-function is like,

ψ(x,t) ≈ sin(∏x/L)*exp(-iE*t/hbar)

Let there be a potential that acts in a small region of space-time (smeared out delta functions) that coincides with where the particle is likely to be found. (I'm not sure such a potential can be realized?)

Let V(x,t) = ε*δ(x°)*δ(t°).

where ε is a small constant. Then consider how ψ(x,t) changes when x = x° and t = t°.

Hψ(x,t) = [H + V(x,t)]ψ(x,t) =-i∂ψ(x,t)/∂t so ?

Δψ(x°,t°) = iΔt[H + V(x°,t°)]ψ(x°,t°)

where Δt is the small time the potential acts.

So depending on the sign of the potential the, the potential gives the wave-function a little push forwards or backwards in the direction of Δψ?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• aaaaa148.jpg
    aaaaa148.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 427

1. Can a potential act in a small region of spacetime?

Yes, a potential can act in a small region of spacetime. In physics, a potential is a scalar field that describes the energy per unit charge of a particle in a given position in space. It is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism, gravity, and other areas of physics. The potential can vary within a small region of spacetime, and its effects can be observed and measured.

2. How does a potential behave in a small region of spacetime?

A potential behaves according to the laws of physics in a small region of spacetime. This means that it follows the principles of conservation of energy and momentum, as well as the equations of motion for the specific physical system it is acting upon. The behavior of a potential can be mathematically described and predicted using these principles.

3. Can a potential be created or destroyed in a small region of spacetime?

No, a potential cannot be created or destroyed in a small region of spacetime. According to the principle of conservation of energy, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This applies to potentials as well, which can be converted into other forms of energy, but cannot be created or destroyed in a small region of spacetime.

4. How is a potential related to the curvature of spacetime?

A potential is not directly related to the curvature of spacetime. Instead, it is related to the energy and matter content of a given region of spacetime. The curvature of spacetime is described by the theory of general relativity, which explains how mass and energy affect the fabric of spacetime and influence the motion of objects within it. Potentials can be used to calculate the effects of this curvature on particles and objects.

5. Can a potential act on objects outside of its region in spacetime?

Yes, a potential can act on objects outside of its region in spacetime. This is because the effects of the potential can propagate through spacetime, influencing the behavior of other particles and objects. For example, the gravitational potential of a massive object can extend far beyond its physical boundaries, affecting the motion of objects even at a great distance. However, the strength of the potential decreases with distance, so its effects may become negligible at a certain point.