Can a pressure wave from an explosion move a cloud of different gas?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DarkBabylon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Displacement Explosions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 999 views
DarkBabylon
Messages
72
Reaction score
10
Understanding waves typically don't displace atoms but momentarily and then they move back into place, my intuition tells me that if a pressure wave on a certain gas meets a slightly different gas but with a similar density, the different gas wouldn't move dramatically due to the pressure wave.
Is this correct or am I missing something (except the obvious math) which will say otherwise?

Specifically, can an explosion, such as that from a nuke, move a cloud?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the behavior of the smoke in the first few seconds of the following clip, I'd say "yes". Watch what happens when the blast wave hits them.



Edit: To clarify, I think the cloud would move some, but not much.