Can a quantum entanglement camera receive images faster than light speed?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
James71
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Possibility of using a quantum entanglement camera to image distant objects
I do not have the education to grasp the math of quantum mechanics but I am very interested in it and understand some of the concepts. I often find myself pondering those concepts.

One thing I began to wonder about was the possibility of using quantum entanglement to observe distant objects so I did a quick search on Google to see if anyone else had similar ideas and I came across this article:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/devices/quantum-entanglement-camera

So it does seem to be possible to image things with quantum entanglement but it did not address the ideas I had.

Let's say you take a quantum entanglement camera, leave one here on Earth and send the other deep into space and take a picture? Would we be able to create an image here on Earth with such a camera?

Which brings me to the part that I am really wondering about. Say this camera is sent 100 light years from Earth before it snaps the picture. The resulting picture shows us an image of light that would have taken 100 years to reach us. Would this effectively be us looking into Earth's future, given that it has not reached us yet?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot use entanglement (alone) for communication: No-communication theorem. You always need a conventional way to send information, which is limited by the speed of light.
James71 said:
Let's say you take a quantum entanglement camera, leave one here on Earth and send the other deep into space and take a picture? Would we be able to create an image here on Earth with such a camera?
No. You wouldn't even know if the camera took a picture at all.
To reconstruct a picture the camera needs to send something to us - but then it's very similar to a conventional spacecraft taking a picture and transmitting it digitally. To make things worse, the camera you linked needs to illuminate its target, which is impractical for astronomy. Shining a light onto a nearby star isn't going to do anything.
 
Ok, thanks for the information. I was aware of that but it seemed to me that the article was able to do this, but just not so far.

I have other questions. Will ask later.