Info traveling faster than light, and quantum entanglement

In summary, the particle could be observed to be in one state or another, but the outcome of the observation would still be random.
bobtom
OK, going to ask a question that I sort of know is going to be shot down but at the moment I can't make sense of this.

If I send a machine/robot with a particle that is quantum entangled with another particle that is left on earth. When one particle is blue the other is red. The machine also has an ability to measure whether there is liquid water on a planet around proxima century. So I send it to porxima, let's say at the speed of light, so it takes just over 4 years to get there (it’s irrelevant how fast it gets there).

So my robot arrives at proxima and measures there is liquid water on this planet. I make the particle on my robot red, which we have already decided means that there is liquid. So now we know our particle is blue, the other must be red therefor there must be liquid water on this planet.

Has info traveled faster than light or have we just deduced that there is water on this planet because our particle is blue? Have we quantum entangled the information?

We have deduced it but as long as something hasn’t gone wrong with our machine then we know this information and it has traveled faster than light. Is it because we know it IF our machine hasn’t broken and accidentally made the particle the wrong colour then the information has traveled faster than light. So the full info hasn’t travel-led faster than light because we can’t be 100% certain the machine hasn’t malfuncrtioned and made the particle the wrong colour. Do we truly KNOW it or have we just deduced it.

What happens if I send a million machines and they all take measurements and report back there is water.

What I don't understand is why the information hasn't traveled faster than light?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobtom said:
I make the particle on my robot red, which we have already decided means that there is liquid. So now we know our particle is blue, the other must be red therefor there must be liquid water on this planet.
You don't get to "make" the particle red. You can observe (measure) the color of the particle and find it to be red (which tells you that a similar measurement on the entangled particle will find it to be blue). No information that you can control has been sent.

Likes PeroK
So I can't make the particle be in one state or another at all? It has to be observed for it to be in any certain state?

bobtom said:
So I can't make the particle be in one state or another at all? It has to be observed for it to be in any certain state?
Right. You cannot choose the state of the particle. (Until you make the measurement, the particle is in a superposition of states -- an entangled superposition.)

bobtom said:
I make the particle on my robot red...

Just to clarify Doc Al's correct answers: the outcome of any measurement on Earth will be random. You can't transmit information using random signals. You can see the correlation Blue/Red or Red/Blue. But to do that, you need a classical signal channel. So again, no FTL signals.

So if I were to observe a quantum entangled particle to be in one state, is that state just random then? So the particle could end up being observed blue or red and then that decided the state of the other one?

bobtom said:
So the particle could end up being observed blue or red and then that decided the state of the other one?

Ahhh, NOW you get it!

Thanks for the help guys, I was pretty sure there was something basic I was missing. Mucho appreciado.

1. How can information travel faster than light?

The theory of relativity states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, quantum entanglement allows for the instantaneous transfer of information between two entangled particles, which appears to violate this principle. This phenomenon is still not fully understood and is an active area of research in physics.

2. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This means that any change in one particle will result in an immediate change in the other, even if they are separated by vast distances.

3. Can information be transmitted through quantum entanglement?

While the instantaneous transfer of information through quantum entanglement has been observed, it is still unclear whether this can be used for practical communication. The information transferred through entanglement is random and cannot be controlled, making it difficult to use for sending specific messages.

4. How is quantum entanglement being used in technology?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and secure communication. It is also being studied for its use in developing more precise sensors and detectors.

5. Is quantum entanglement real or just a theoretical concept?

Quantum entanglement has been observed and studied in numerous experiments, providing strong evidence for its existence. However, it is a complex phenomenon that is still not fully understood, and there are ongoing debates and research about its nature and implications.