Can a S 12 x 50 Beam Withstand a 500lb/ft Load?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inertia
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Ter
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I really have no idea how to solve or even start this.

A vertical uniform load of 500lb/ft is applied all along an S 12 x 50 beam and its supported on the edges. The material the beam is made of resists to a density of up to 48,000 psi (lb/in^2). Determine if the beam can withstand the load calculating the density of the max load in its most vulnerable point.

Wmax = Mc/I where 'w' is the density of the load, M is the moment, c is the distance of the centroid to the furthest edge and I is the moment of Inertia of the section of the beam.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ter said:
I really have no idea how to solve or even start this.

A vertical uniform load of 500lb/ft is applied all along an S 12 x 50 beam and its supported on the edges. The material the beam is made of resists to a density of up to 48,000 psi (lb/in^2). Determine if the beam can withstand the load calculating the density of the max load in its most vulnerable point.

Wmax = Mc/I where 'w' is the density of the load, M is the moment, c is the distance of the centroid to the furthest edge and I is the moment of Inertia of the section of the beam.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
You need to know the length of the beam in order to calculate the bending moment in order to calculate the stress.