Which wood cross section can carry highest uniform load

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine which cross section of wood can carry the highest uniform load. The equations for moment of inertia, shear stress, and bending stress are referenced and calculations are shown for each cross section. Cross section (D) is initially thought to be the strongest based on its moment of inertia, but it is later determined that cross section (C) is strongest due to the strength of its glued joints. The conversation also mentions the importance of checking each cross section rather than assuming the strongest based on calculations.
Blugga
Which wood cross sectioπ caπ carry hïghest uπiform load

Homework Statement

2m69v1g.jpg

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia for rectangle I=(1/12)bh3
τ=(VQ)/(I*b)
σ=(MV)/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding reactions at B and C
Then drew the sheer and moment diagrams (to save space i made it a link)
http://oi47.tinypic.com/qsmkxh.jpg
To find which cross section can withstand the biggest q, I found the moment of inertia about the z axis (neutral axis) for each figure.
(A)Iz=2*{((1/12)*8*23)+[(2*8)*32]}+2*{((1/12)*8*23)+[(2*8)*12]}
Iz=341.33 in4

(B)Iz=2*{((1/12)*8*23)+[(2*8)*32]}+2*{((1/12)*2*83)}
Iz=469.33 in4

(C)Iz=2*{((1/12)*8*23)+[(2*8)*52]}+2*{((1/12)*2*83)}
Iz=981.33 in4

(D)Iz=2*{((1/12)*8*23)+[(2*8)*92]}+2*{((1/12)*2*83)+[(2*8)*42]}
Iz=3285.33 in4

Because both of the equations I posted for τ and σ are dependent on Inertia, I figured since that when solving for (q) we would have to multiply by Inertia so whichever cross section has the biggest Inertia will also have a bigger (q). Therefore, cross section (D) was the pick. Was I right to assume this?
τmax=[(6.5q)*Q(0)]/[3285.33*2]=65; where Q(0)=208. not sure about that value
∴q=315 lb/ft
σmax=[(34.125lb-ft)(12in/ft)q*10]/3285.33=1800
∴q=1444.10 lb/ft and so the max q can be is 315 lb/ft

This is my first attempt so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help you with the math but I can tell you that in the real world D is what is always used when strength is needed.

phinds said:
I can't help you with the math but I can tell you that in the real world D is what is always used when strength is needed.

I guess it kinda helps prove my point, but I was kinda looking for a more mathematical response :)

Blugga: Is this a take-home test question? I currently cannot match your x1 = 10.5, on your shear diagram, yet. Are you sure x1 is correct? Try again. Therefore, I cannot match your bending stress equation yet.

Your shear stress equation looks fine. Your moments of inertia look fine. How will you know which cross section can carry the highest q if you do not check them? You will just guess?
Blugga said:
Was I right to assume this?
No, I do not think so.

It's a sort of take home quiz. The book doesn't go into depth into how to find this sort of info for these shapes. It just explains briefly for 1 or 2 wood boards, and i have 4.

I think you may be right about the X1 being off. I think x1 will just be 10.5ft - 4ft. So x1=6.5ft.
Therefore, Mmax=13.125q.
Also, i guess my reasoning was that from the bending stress alone cross section (D) would be greatest. But i didn't count that the glued joints would make all the difference. I did try to find qmax for each cross section (but with the wrong Mmax) and ended up with cross section (C) carrying the highest q. I'll rework the new figures in the morning. Thanks for the help.

nvn said:
Blugga: We usually should not help on quiz or test questions. The PF Rules link at the top of each page says, "Do not ask for answers to exams."

I understand that, but this isn't an exam. It's a take home quiz/assignment. It's worth a very small percentage of the overall grade, about 0.7% and I already had half right so you were only helping with 0.35%. Only reason I asked was because the book was of no help and there was no one else I could ask (TA's and professors never have time). I guess it's best to get things wrong and never figure out how to do them then to bend the "rules" a little... :uhh:

But thanks for the help you did provide.

1. What is the strongest type of wood for a cross section to carry a uniform load?

The strongest type of wood for a cross section to carry a uniform load is typically a hardwood, such as oak, ash, or maple. These types of woods have dense and tightly packed fibers, making them more resistant to bending and breaking under pressure.

2. How does the thickness of the cross section affect its ability to carry a uniform load?

The thickness of the cross section plays a significant role in its ability to carry a uniform load. Thicker cross sections have more material and therefore are able to withstand higher loads without breaking. However, too much thickness can also make the cross section unnecessarily heavy and bulky.

3. Are there any specific grain orientations that make a cross section stronger for carrying a uniform load?

Yes, the grain orientation of the wood can greatly impact its strength for carrying a uniform load. A cross section with the grain running parallel to the load is typically stronger than one with the grain running perpendicular to the load. This is because the wood fibers are able to bear the load more efficiently in this orientation.

4. Does the moisture content of the wood affect its ability to carry a uniform load?

Yes, the moisture content of the wood can have a significant impact on its strength for carrying a uniform load. Wood that is too dry or too wet can both be weaker and more prone to breaking under pressure. Ideally, the moisture content of the wood should be around 12% for optimal strength.

5. Are there any other factors besides wood type that can affect the strength of a cross section for carrying a uniform load?

There are several other factors that can affect the strength of a cross section for carrying a uniform load. These include the quality of the wood, the size and shape of the cross section, and the presence of any knots or defects in the wood. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors when selecting a wood for a cross section to carry a uniform load.