Can a Sealed Device Increase Weight Continuously in the Direction of Gravity?

In summary, it is not possible to make a device that continuously increases in weight in the direction of gravity.
aladinlamp
box.jpg

Imagine red box as a fully enclosed device powered by electricity

when turned off, it weighs 5kg, it is pushing down with force cca 49 Newtons

when turned on, it would weight more, let's say 6kg, pushing down with force cca 58.86 Newtons

is it in theory possible to make such device, increasing its weight continuously in the direction of gravity ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not continuously. That would break Newton's laws. You could put a vertically oscillating mass inside but the average weight would be the same.

Likes FL0R1
aladinlamp said:
Imagine red box as a fully enclosed device powered by electricity

when turned off, it weighs 5kg, it is pushing down with force cca 49 Newtons

when turned on, it would weight more, let's say 6kg, pushing down with force cca 58.86 Newtons

is it in theory possible to make such device, increasing its weight in the direction of gravity ?

There is not. Unless you add mass to the box from outside of this system, then there is no way for its weight to increase.

aladinlamp said:
is it in theory possible to make such device, increasing its weight continuously in the direction of gravity ?
Yes, if you pump energy into it, you can increase its mass: E=mc2

A.T. said:

To clarify for the OP, this energy must come from outside of the box or it would already be included in the boxes mass.

Drakkith said:
To clarify for the OP, this energy must come from outside of the box or it would already be included in the boxes mass.
Right, If "fully enclosed" means powered by energy already stored inside, then it won't work.

A.T. said:
Thats not for the theory that if you put energy on it, e=mc^2 is that mass have an large energy by itself.

CWatters said:
Not continuously. That would break Newton's laws. You could put a vertically oscillating mass inside but the average weight would be the same.
Thats True

FL0R1 said:
Thats not for the theory that if you put energy on it, e=mc^2 is that mass have an large energy by itself.
e=mc^2 works both ways: mass has energy and energy has mass.

Likes FL0R1
russ_watters said:
e=mc^2 works both ways: mass has energy and energy has mass.
Yes it is, but in this case he powered the red box with electricity so it would electrical energy not relativity energy you saying, these are different notations :D..

FL0R1 said:
Yes it is, but in this case he powered the red box with electricity so it would electrical energy not relativity energy you saying, these are different notations :D..
The equation does not have any such caveats. Energy has mass. Period. If you increase the energy in the box, its mass goes up.

Likes FL0R1
russ_watters said:
The equation does not have any such caveats. Energy has mass. Period. If you increase the energy in the box, its mass goes up.
I agree on what you are saying but here we should not mention the e= mc^2 because that's not for electrical energy , are you understaning what i want to sayy.
I know that if we put energy its mass goes up , i agree with that.

FL0R1 said:
I agree on what you are saying but here we should not mention the e= mc^2 because that's not for electrical energy , are you understaning what i want to sayy.
I know that if we put energy its mass goes up , i agree with that.
I don't think you do understand, because you are contradicting yourself and me. E=mc^2 is for all types of energy, including electrical energy. It has no caveats specifying what type of energy it works for.

Note also, the OP does not describe if any kind of energy conversion exists in the device. It may be a flywheel spinning-up or it may be a battery or it may just be getting hot. Regardless of what type of energy it stores, E=mc^2 works the same way.

Likes FL0R1
russ_watters said:
I don't think you do understand, because you are contradicting yourself and me. E=mc^2 is for all types of energy, including electrical energy. It has no caveats specifying what type of energy it works for.

Note also, the OP does not describe if any kind of energy conversion exists in the device. It may be a flywheel spinning-up or it may be a battery or it may just be getting hot. Regardless of what type of energy it stores, E=mc^2 works the same way.

Imagine red box as a fully enclosed device powered by electricity.. <-- Electricity. i don't have nothing more to say..

FL0R1 said:
Imagine red box as a fully enclosed device powered by electricity.. <-- Electricity. i don't have nothing more to say..
What I meant was that once the electricity gets into the box, we don't know if it is converted to another type of energy.

I really can't tell here if you are not understanding or are being argumentative. I don't think what I am saying is hard to understand.

Likes FL0R1
russ_watters said:
What I meant was that once the electricity gets into the box, we don't know if it is converted to another type of energy.

I really can't tell here if you are not understanding or are being argumentative. I don't think what I am saying is hard to understand.

No, what are you saying isn't hard to understand for me but is for others, here i tried to explain in a view of a beginners

FL0R1 said:
electrical energy not relativity energy
Energy is energy, as Russ said. If you store more and more energy in the box, the mass of the box will increase.

Likes FL0R1
A.T. said:
Energy is energy, as Russ said. If you store more and more energy in the box, the mass of the box will increase.
I know that

Adding electrical energy as you like, still you can't make such a device, you need A LOT, yes A LOT of energy to be able to make few grams, unless you power it with bunch if nuclear reactors, electric energy is motion if charged particle, these charges move inside the box, so E = mc^2 would work here, and the box can catch up some electrons but again you'll never be able to add kgs,so sorry for disappointement !

I guess you could arrange things so that your red box has an ion drive attached to the top of it, powered by the boxes internal battery.
While drive is operational it would provide an acceleration in addition to gravity this increasing the apparent weight.
However once the ion drive is turned off the box should be lighter than it was previously since some of it's mass (the engine propellant) will have been lost,

The point is the red box is a sealed system so the ions could not escape. If you remove that restriction you could strap anything on the top like a liquid fuel rocket, grasshopper trap, rainwater collector...

1. What is the "Gravity thought experiment"?

The gravity thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario used to explore the concept of gravity and its effects on objects in space. It involves imagining a situation where there are two objects in space, such as planets or stars, and examining how their gravitational forces interact with each other.

2. How does the "Gravity thought experiment" help us understand gravity?

The thought experiment allows us to visualize and conceptualize the effects of gravity without the limitations of real-world conditions. By imagining different scenarios and outcomes, we can gain a better understanding of how gravity works and its impact on the movement of objects in space.

3. Can the "Gravity thought experiment" be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the principles and concepts explored in the gravity thought experiment can be applied to real-life situations. For example, it can help us understand the orbits of planets around the sun or the motion of satellites in space.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the "Gravity thought experiment"?

One common misconception is that the gravity thought experiment is a real-life experiment that has been conducted. In reality, it is a theoretical scenario used to explore the concept of gravity. Another misconception is that the thought experiment is only applicable to large objects like planets and stars, when in fact it can be used to understand the movement of any two objects with mass.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Gravity thought experiment"?

As with any thought experiment, the gravity thought experiment has its limitations. It does not take into account other factors that may affect the movement of objects in space, such as air resistance or the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies. It also relies on simplified models and assumptions, which may not accurately reflect the complexities of the real world.