Can a Superhero Use Earth's Rotational Force as a Power Source?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Subject39
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Concept
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 9K views
Nah, it doesn't really work for me, no matter how restricted. If one draws power from only one thing, then one should have power over only that one thing. Anything else feels a little jarring.

Needless to say, that's just my opinion. Your work, your rules, obviously.

Maybe have a little TVTropes Wiki Walk, starting at Elemental Powers, to get a broader perspective on this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Subject39 said:
Hello everyone!
I am by no means a Physicist, I am simply doing research for a new superhero that I am creating and I need to understand the science behind my idea and if it is plausible.

A superhero that can channel the rotational force of the Earth to add kinetic energy to his strikes/movements.

Long story short, he's an Astronaut that's sent to an asteroid for an exploratory mining mission. The asteroid for some reason is gaining speed at a tremendous rate. Turns out it contains a carbon based ore that can absorb kinetic energy from nearby planets and use it for itself.
Lab explosion, the ore fuses with his body (both carbon based) and gives him the ability to do the same plus making him practically invulnerable to most physical attacks since his bones are now made of a super strong metal alloy.

In a comic book sense does this work? I want it to be somewhat plausible and not too over the top.

In order to limit his abilities I was thinking that he must be in contact with the Earth in order to use his powers. Buildings and things like that included through transitive logic lol.

Would this work into the equation of f=ma?


I like it. It's original.

It's also classic. Hercules fights the son the of Earth, who gains power from the Earth. Hercules has to hold him off the ground while strangling him.
 
Here is my explanation for the pressure waves of Kinetic Energy. He has suit built for him, made with the same ore that has been fused with his body. It act's like a battery, storing kinetic energy. It allows him to use his power in situations where he is not touching the earth, just to a lesser degree. It also has "blow-off valves" that can unleash pressure waves of KE. So it's not so much his power, it's the tech that's been built for him.
 
ImaLooser said:
I like it. It's original.

It's also classic. Hercules fights the son the of Earth, who gains power from the Earth. Hercules has to hold him off the ground while strangling him.

I think that would work amazingly well as a story line. I may have to credit you once we write it.

*EDIT* It would be a fight before he gets his "Battery Suit"