Can air humidity(water vapor) fall like rain in a room?

• Thread starter MQTUAE
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

I wanted to know if air humidtiy is high because of a higher temperature does it fall like rain on me or on the clothes or ground what ever after a drop in temperature?

The drop in Temperature also means a drop in humidity where does the water vapor goes, i know about cold places in a room where it condense but can it also condense just in a minute when i open the window and the colder air drops the temperature of the room?

How is the process can anyone explain it to me why we are still dry?

thanks!

Answers and Replies

Hello,

I wanted to know if air humidtiy is high because of a higher temperature does it fall like rain on me or on the clothes or ground what ever after a drop in temperature?

The drop in Temperature also means a drop in humidity where does the water vapor goes, i know about cold places in a room where it condense but can it also condense just in a minute when i open the window and the colder air drops the temperature of the room?

How is the process can anyone explain it to me why we are still dry?

thanks!
I know for a fact it won't fall like rain however it will drip.
Please notify me if you need more information.

mathman
Science Advisor
Condensation due to drop in temperature and high humidity is usually in the form of mist or fog, not drops.

My assumption is that raindrops form and grow due to falling long distances through clouds. If they begin at a high cold altitude, the drop would be cooler than the vapor it passes through, causing it to condense that vapor as it comes in contact with it.

Humidity in a room would condense on anything cold it touches, such as a cold beverage or an air conditioning vent. Theoretically, I suppose, cold air from an a/c could also generate drops of condensation in the air itself, but I would think these drops would immediately evaporate into the surrounding cold air from the a/c. The only reason I think condensation might form on the a/c vent itself is because it is metal and holds temperature and because the warm humid air would creep in from the walls as the air stream blows away from the ceiling.