1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can all patterns in 3D have an equivalent equation in polynomial?

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Please Help me out with this one.

Can all patterns in 2D or 3D, have an equivalent equation in polynomial?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    Would you like to elaborate on what you mean by that?

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    for example the is a pattern in 3 Dimensional form. An obviously repeating or sequence of pattern like fractals. Can we create an equation for that pattern in polynomial?

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    Would it count if a pattern were the result of an exponential or trig function? y = sin x is a pretty nice 2D pattern, but it's not generated by any polynomial. If you wanted 3D you could do something similar.

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    Actually, I can't think of any repeating pattern that would be represented by a polynomial (at least in Cartesian coordinates). Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "have an equivalent equation in polynomial". Did you have some particular example in mind when you asked this question?

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I thought for a second that maybe the OP meant to ask if the patterns be generated in polynomial time, but I re-read the first post and I doubt he did mean that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook