1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can an envelope curve cut its member curve twice?

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    Can the envelope curve (of a family of curves) intersect a member curve of the family at more than one point?

It seems possible. Consider the following.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 4.02.59 am.png
    Each blue line is a member curve and the red line is the envelope curve. If we modify each blue line such that it has a protrusion like a "þ", then it can intersect the red line more than once and still has a point that is tangent to the red line.

But I have never seen such as example before. So is it not allowed?

Picture from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_(mathematics)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You would get a different envelope, being tangent to the "þ". You can probably make multiple envelope curves then.

4. Jun 22, 2016 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Consider the envelope defined by ##f(x) = 1## for the family of curves ##g_k(x) = sin(x+k)##

That envelope is tangent to each family member at infinitely many points. My understanding of an "envelope" is that it is not permissible for a family member to extend beyond the envelope. You are only allowed to kiss, not penetrate.

5. Jun 22, 2016 #4
    This would go well with the English meaning of the word envelope.

But it is not required in the following definition: an envelope of a family of curves in a plane is a curve that is tangent to each member of the family at some point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted