Can anybody help me ive been stuck for over 3 weeks

• Thread starter TWOSWORDALI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: The equation for torsional stress is:σ = 𝑎𝑜𝑡 𝑎𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑜𝑣where σ is the torsional stress, 𝑎𝑜𝑡 is the cross-sectional area of the beam, 𝑎𝑜𝑢 is the cross-sectional area of the beam at a point closer to the center of the beam, and 𝑎𝑜𝑣 is the cross-sectional area of the beam at a point further from the center of the beam.
TWOSWORDALI
A solid steel shaft 10 m long and 70mm diameter is subjected to a torque of 4.5 kNm.
In order to save the weight the solid shaft is to be replaced be a thin walled hollow shaft of wall thickness 10mm.
What diameter of hollow shaft is required to carry the same torque if the maximum allowable stress is the same as that experienced by the solid shaft?
If the modulus of rigdity of the steel is 80 x 109 N/m2 calculate the angle of twist for the thin walled shaft.
Considering materials/ manufacturing costs and application constraints such as weight, inertia, balance, size and reliability, describe a suitable application for each type of shaft stating why that type is more suitable than the alternative.
Ive spent 3 weeks on this darn question

Physics news on Phys.org
What part of the question are you stuck on? This seems like a 20 min. homework problem.

You can write the stress equation completely in terms of radius (given the additional information you have). From there, simply solve for it.

TWOSWORDALI: This sounds like a take-home final exam question, and is one of the questions on the test you posted two weeks ago in thread [thread=324821]324821[/thread]. The PF rules state we are not allowed to tell you how to approach or solve your homework problem. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math.

no this is not a take home exam at all its a question for homework for the HNC. And I am completely LOST As far as the electrical goes I am doing alright but this is one question out of 10 that I am stuck on well its another one as well dealing with shear force an d the bending moment diagram. But this question has got me crazy. No it is not a takehome exam in the attached file is the questions that I am doing. A hint or someexplanation or somthing will be very helpful, no i do not want you to do it for me but i do seriously need some help in understanding this. Imcompletely dumbfounded with it you can check Manchester open learning and show them the question they will affirm that it is not a take home exam question

If two beams can both carry the same torque, then its reasonable to say that they can be stressed the same amount. Having said that.

What is the equation for torsional stress?

1. What is the problem that you have been stuck on for over 3 weeks?

The problem is not specified, so it is difficult to provide a specific answer. It would be helpful to provide more information about the issue, such as the subject matter, any steps you have taken to try and solve it, and any specific questions you have.

2. Have you asked for help from anyone else, such as a teacher or colleague?

If you have been stuck for over 3 weeks, it may be beneficial to seek help from others. They may have a different perspective or knowledge that could help you find a solution to your problem.

3. What resources have you used to try and solve the problem?

It is important to use a variety of resources when trying to solve a problem. This can include textbooks, online resources, or consulting with experts in the field. Make sure to also keep track of the resources you have used and any progress you have made.

4. Have you taken breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective?

Sometimes taking a break from a problem can help you see it in a new light when you come back to it. This can help you approach the problem from a different angle and potentially find a solution.

5. What are your next steps for solving the problem?

If you have been stuck on a problem for over 3 weeks, it may be helpful to reassess your approach and come up with a new plan of action. This could include seeking help from others, trying new resources, or breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.