Can anybody recommend me some good books on C++?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xbomber88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
xbomber88
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I'm planning on teaching myself C++. Does anybody know of any good books to learn from? I have a little bit of prior programming experience with java but not all that much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
C++ programming language by Bjarne Stroustrup is pretty good
 
Stroustrup is the bible (well, that and the C++ standard), but it's pretty dense and not a particularly great introduction in my opinion. Better to read it after you already know, or think you know, some C++.

I would start with https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201721481/?tag=pfamazon01-20, but be sure to get the 4th edition, which is a massive improvement over the previous editions.

Another good option if you want to start right away with the standard library features is http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/". It is only a few hundred pages in length, though, so it doesn't have nearly the coverage of Stroustrup or Lippman/Lajoie/Moo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The one i have used is, Walter Savitch, Problem Solving with C++.
I must say it is one of the best book i have used. it is quite expensive, for the reason that its very good. also if you are a beginner try C++.com, although it might not be so helpful
 
very easy language ...book named
information practices by sumita arora
dhanpat rai and publications
 
I can only speak on experience, Gaddis Krupnow Starting out with C++ 5th Edition. I had never seen C++ in my life before and this book got me a high distinction
 
Second Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch
Another book by Walter Savitch is Absolute C++

Both cover similar topics...
I must say for beginning programmer, O'reilly's Practical C++ Programming is also nice.
 
51XZZ9RV4BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg


I do not agree that it's a simple language. There are a lot of pitfalls. But Koenig & Moo try to start you off on the right foot with modern "idomatic" C++.

Sometimes when people mention C++, they really mean C, and for that Kernighan and Ritchie is still the go to book.

41G0l2eBPNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg