Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone explain quantum gates

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    Hi I am studying Quantum computing and basically have no understanding of quantum gates and my lecturer is not very helpful.

I don't understand why a 4x4 quantum gate would ever effect a two qubit system because surely that is at best only a 2x2 matrix, assuming they effect each other through multipication.

How can there be a gate which flips the first qubit and leave the second one unchanged, surely they would both be affected?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    I don't understand how a 4x4 gate could effect a 2x2 qubit though

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4

kith

Science Advisor

The state space of a single qubit is 2-dimensional. Composite states are given by the direct product. The direct product of two 2-dimensional states is a 4-dimensional state.

|1> can be written as column vector (1,0). |11> = |1>⊗|1> can be written as (1,0,1,0).

Simple quantum gates act on single qubits, so they are represented by 2x2 matrices. If a quantum gate operates on two qubits, it has to be represented by a 4x4 matrix, because it has to act on a column vector with four components. Try for example to construct the matrix representation of a "double not" gate to see how this works.

6. Mar 4, 2013 #5
    For 2 qubits, you have 4 possible states: |00>, |01>, |10> and 11>. Thus, any matrix operator that tries to relate a vector of size 4 onto another vector of size 4 (2 qubits still remain after the operation) have to be a 4x4 matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook