1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone get me on the right track?

1. Aug 24, 2007 #1
    Can anyone get me on the right track???

A solution contains the folllowing ions, each at a 0.1 M concentration.

Ag+(aq), Ca2+(aq), Ni2+(aq)

write out a procedure by which these ions may be sparated form each other and from the solution, clearly indicating the order of separation and when filtering should be done.

Please and thankyou...
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2

Well, here's a hint: the least reactive of substances are the most easily displaced from a solution, so the order of separation would clearly be from the least reactive to the most.
  4. Aug 24, 2007 #3
    hmmm...I am still confused as to what kind of a procedure, what does it mean by this?
  5. Aug 24, 2007 #4
    anyone have anything to add?? thanks!
  6. Aug 24, 2007 #5

If you place a strip of copper into a silver nitrate solution, the copper would force (displace) the silver out from the solution, right? The concept is basically the same here.
  7. Aug 24, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please remember to show your own work first. Also, please take notice that the thread has been moved to the homework and coursework forum, where similar questions should be posted in the future.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?