Chemistry Acid/base solubility question

In summary: So you should write the net ionic equation asH+ ---> H+ In summary, to prepare each of the given salts, a balanced molecular equation and a net ionic equation must be written. The solubility of reactants can be determined by reviewing solubility rules. The net ionic equations for the preparations of AgNO3 and RbClO4 are AgOH + H+ --> Ag+ + H2O and H+ --> H+.
Nellen2222

Homework Statement

Each of the following salts can be prepared from an acid and a base. Write the balanced molecular equation and the net ionic equation for the preperation of each. indicate states of the reactants and producys . Review solubility rules if neccesary to determine the solubility of reactants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) AgNO3
b)RbClO4
C) Na3PO4

a/ AgOH(s) + HNO3(aq) --> AgNO3(aq) + H2O(aq) (the molecular equation
Net ionic: AgOH + H+ + NO3- ------> Ag+ + NO3- + H2O
Final net ionic after cancellation: AgOH- + H+ ---> Ag+ + H2O

Am I write on this first one? i don't really think I am, I am not confident in it

b/ RbClO4

my attempt: RbOH(s) + HClO4- ----. RbClO4 (aq) + H2O

My attempt at net ionic: RbOH(s) + H+ + ClO4- ---> Rb+ + H2O
Final net ionic after cancellation: RbOH + H+ ---> Rb+ + H2O

Is this right? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump... anyone?

Nellen2222 said:
Final net ionic after cancellation: AgOH- + H+ ---> Ag+ + H2O

Close, but you need to pay attention to charges - no such thing as AgOH- (although you wrote it correctly in other places). Also, it won't hurt to mark the fact AgOH is insoluble.

Final net ionic after cancellation: RbOH + H+ ---> Rb+ + H2O

RbOH is well soluble (as opposed to AgOH) and 100% dissociated.

1. What is the definition of an acid and a base in chemistry?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions or donates hydroxide ions (OH-).

2. What is the pH scale and how does it relate to acid/base solubility?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral, below 7 being acidic, and above 7 being basic. The solubility of an acid or base is affected by its pH, with acids being more soluble in basic solutions and bases being more soluble in acidic solutions.

3. How does temperature affect the solubility of acids and bases?

In general, the solubility of acids and bases increases with temperature. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules to move and interact, making it easier for them to dissolve in water.

4. What are some common examples of acids and bases?

Some common examples of acids include vinegar (acetic acid), lemon juice (citric acid), and stomach acid (hydrochloric acid). Common bases include baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide), and bleach (sodium hypochlorite).

5. How do you determine the solubility of an acid or base in water?

The solubility of an acid or base in water can be determined by conducting a solubility test, where a small amount of the substance is added to a known amount of water and stirred until it dissolves. The concentration of the dissolved substance in the solution can then be measured to determine its solubility.