Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me make the connection here

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    if F is any function and H is the hamiltonian, then the Poisson Bracket of F and H, is given by:

[F,H] = dF/dt - [tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]t

Can someone show me how the right side of this equation comes about?
    Also how can the normal derivative of F w.r.t t be different from the partial of F w.r.t t?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In this case, where F is any function of coordinates and momenta (i.e. F=F(t,q,p), where the position and momentum depend upon time) the total derivative of F with respect to time will be [tex]\frac{dF}{dt}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}\frac{d q}{dt}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial p}\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex].

Now, use the Hamilton-Jacobi equations, to get the equation in terms of H, and use the definition of the Poisson Bracket of H and F to get the equation in the required form.

4. Mar 30, 2008 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a standard abuse of notation.

Suppose, for example, [itex]F = F \left( q, p, t \right)[/itex] ([itex]F:\mathbb{R}^3 \leftarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]), and [itex]q = q \left( t \right)[/itex] and [itex]p = p \left( t \right)[/itex] (i.e., each is a map from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]).

Define a new function [tex]\tilde{F} \left( t \right) = F\left( q\left(t) , p\left(t)\right), t \right)[/tex] (another map from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) by composition of functions. The multivariable chain rule then gives

[tex]
    \frac{d \tilde{F}}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial q} \frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial p} \frac{dp}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial t}.
    [/tex]

Even though [itex]F[/itex] and [tex]\tilde{F}[/tex] are different functions, as they have different domains, it is standard to omit the twiddle.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?