Can anyone help me out with this tension problem please?

• Thread starter kdspuhler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses two blocks on an incline and determining the tension in a massless string. The higher block's friction adds to the tension while the lower block's friction reduces it. By summing the forces in the X and Y direction, using F=ma, and isolating one block at a time, the tension can be solved for by projecting the X axis onto the inclined plane.
kdspuhler
The two blocks in the figure are sliding down the incline. What is the tension in the massless string?
[PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2586/physicshelp.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
That's honestly all I got.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I realized that the higher block's friction adds to the tension, and the lower block's friction reduces tension. That being said they are equal so I disregarded them and simply tried

2gsin20-gsin20=Ft

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sum the forces in X and Y direction and solve for Ft. Its easier if you project the X axis onto the inclined plane.

Lets just Isolate one of the blocks:
[PLAIN]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7338/blockeah.png

Can you sum the forces on this block?
what about the other block?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a tension problem in science?

A tension problem in science refers to a situation where there is a force acting on an object which causes it to stretch or compress.

2. How can tension problems be solved?

Tension problems can be solved by using the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object. This equation helps to calculate the amount of tension in the object.

3. What are some real-life examples of tension problems?

Some real-life examples of tension problems include the stretching of a rubber band, the compression of a spring, and the bending of a tree branch due to strong winds.

4. What factors can affect tension in an object?

The factors that can affect tension in an object include the type of material, the force applied, and the length or displacement of the object. These factors can alter the amount of tension experienced by the object.

5. How can I improve my understanding of tension problems in science?

To improve your understanding of tension problems in science, you can practice solving different types of tension problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. You can also refer to online resources or textbooks for further explanations and examples.