1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me out on the simple pendulum lab?

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    For the simple pendulum lab, I have to find the percent difference between my theoretical and experimental velocity. I found out my theoretical velocity as I used the conservation of energy to generate an equation for v, but I'm having a hard time calculating my velocity from my experimental data! So what happened was that a bob was swung at different angles (10° to 60°) with the bob going through a photogate. The time recorded was the time the moment the bob entered through the photogate. Using this time and other data present (pendulum length, radius of bob...) I have to find velocity, BUT I have no clue how to do so. I tried to find my time by finding the arc length (the length of the path travelled by the bob) divided by my time, but my answers are so way off from my theoretical. I really don't know what to do and I'm so frustrated... I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out on this one! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One time is not sufficient to to extract velocity information from experimental data. The first time a photogate beam is interrupted, a clock starts running (that's t = 0). You need a second time and a length to determine speed. Exactly what times did you record?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook