Can anyone help me proofing this? This is not homework.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of Green's function, where the goal is to prove the equation \frac{x}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{y}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} +\frac{z}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \;=\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} using the chain rule. However, the person is unsure how to proceed and needs guidance on how to find \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}.
yungman
This is part of a bigger derivation of Green's function. The book just jump to the ending and I cannot understand how to do this. I need someone to give me guidence how to proof this:

[tex] \frac{x}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{y}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} +\frac{z}{r} \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \;=\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} [/tex]

Where

[tex] r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

This is not a homework problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\cdots[/tex]

cristo said:
Use the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\cdots[/tex]

I thought of that, but what is [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/tex]

I know

[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{x}{r}[/tex]

That's exactly where I got stuck!

1. What is the purpose of proofreading?

The purpose of proofreading is to carefully review written content for errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and formatting. This process ensures that the content is accurate, professional, and easy to understand for the intended audience.

2. How can proofreading benefit my writing?

Proofreading can benefit your writing by improving its overall quality, clarity, and credibility. It helps to catch and correct mistakes that may have been overlooked during the writing process, making your work more polished and professional.

3. What are some common mistakes to look out for when proofreading?

Some common mistakes to look out for when proofreading include spelling errors, incorrect grammar and punctuation, inconsistent formatting, and typos. It's also important to check for clarity, consistency, and flow of ideas.

4. Is it necessary to have someone else proofread my work?

While it's always helpful to have a fresh set of eyes review your work, it's not always necessary to have someone else proofread it. You can also proofread your own work by taking breaks in between writing and proofreading, using spelling and grammar checkers, and reading your work aloud.

5. How often should I proofread my writing?

The frequency of proofreading depends on the length and complexity of the writing. For shorter pieces, it's recommended to proofread multiple times, with breaks in between. For longer and more complex pieces, it's best to proofread multiple times over the course of a few days to catch any errors that may have been missed initially.