1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help with an average speed problem?

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A racing team of 3 drivers drove a 24 hour event in shifts. The first driver drove only one fourth of the race but averaged 140km/hr. The second driver drove one third of the race at an average speed of 170 km/hr. The last driver drove the remainder of the race at 160 km/hr. What was the average speed of the team?

2. Relevant equations
    I do not know how to set up the problem in order to find average speed since there is no specific distance

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2
    Well, this is kind of an odd question. I would think that a weighted average could work. E.g. multiply the first speed by 1/4, the second by 1/3, and the third by 5/12. Then add these numbers together. See if that gives you the right answer, I'm not entirely sure.

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3
    You have the total time: T=24h
    Then, t1=[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]T=6h
    t2=[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]T=8h
    t3=[itex]\frac{5}{12}[/itex]T=10h

The distance of each shift:
    d1=v1*t1
    d2=v2*t2
    d3=v3*t3

Now you have the total distance and the total time, so you can calculate the average speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook