Calculating Walking Speed Based on Average Velocity and Distance Traveled

• Thread starter yeahman68
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, the man in the conversation is running and walking a distance of 2 km, with 1 km of walking and 1 km of running. His average velocity is 15 km/hr, with his running velocity being twice that of his walking velocity. After solving for the walking speed using the given equations, it is determined to be 11.25 km/hr. There was initially confusion about the answer being 7.5 km/hr, but it was found to be incorrect.
yeahman68
A man is running and walking a distance of 2 km. He will walk for 1 km and run for 1 km. At the end, his average velocity was recorded to be 15 km/hr. His running velocity is twice that of his walking velocity. What was his walking speed?

The answer was recorded to be 7.5 km/hr, but cannot figure it out unfortunately.

This is how I attempted to do the problem:

Equation relating the two velocities: time = 1/2(Distance/Velocity of walking) + 1/2(Distance/Velocity of running)

Average Velocity=Total Distance/Total Time

15 km/hr= 2 km / x hours x= (2/15) hr or (.1333333333 hr)

Tried doing things past this point but cannot get the correct answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yeahman68 said:
A man is running and walking a distance of 2 km. He will walk for 1 km and run for 1 km. At the end, his average velocity was recorded to be 15 km/hr. His running velocity is twice that of his walking velocity. What was his walking speed?

The answer was recorded to be 7.5 km/hr, but cannot figure it out unfortunately.

This is how I attempted to do the problem:

Average Velocity=Total Distance/Total Time

15 km/hr= 2 km / x hours x= (2/15) hr or (.1333333333 hr)

Tried doing things past this point but cannot get the correct answer.

Welcome to the PF.

You are doing fine so far. You need to write one more equation, to express the fact that you are given with the relatinoship between the two velocities. Given that equation and what you have so far, you should be able to solve the problem. Show us your work going forward now...

Thank you for your input. I have given my proposed equation relating time and the 2 variables. Here is the work I have continuing from the top:

Since the time is coming from two velocities:

.133333333 hours = (1 km/velocity of running) + (1km/velocity of walking)

I guess you can express the velocity of running as twice that of walking.

Thus,

Using the equation relating the variables:

.13333333 hours = (2/ velocity of walking) + (2/2 velocity of walking).13333333 hours = (2 km/velocity of walking) + (2 km/2 velocity of walking)

If my work looks right:

.1333333333 hours = (2 km/velocity of walking) + (1 km/velocity of walking)

-Now adding the two

.1333333333 hours = 3 km/velocity of walking

Velocity of walking = 22.5 km/hr ? So frustrated.

I think there is error in the answer given.

If the walking pace is 7.5km/hr and running is 15 km/hr then total time is 1/7.5 hr and 1/15hr respectively.
Average will be 2/0.2= 10km/h
Another logic, how can average equal to highest speed when lesser speed present.

Let x be the walking speed,
xt1=1/2 ...(1)
xt2=1 ...(2)
2/(t1+t2)=15 ...(3)

x=11.25km/hr

Check.

2/(1/11.25+1/22.5)=15

Last edited:
Okay Thank You. I will bring this up with my professor tomorrow.

It is impossible for all values to be equal to or less than the average, except with negligible times and rounding errors...

The answer is 11.25 km/hr for the walking velocity. My TA told me the answer for another version of the quiz where the values were different. False Alarm! Thank You for all who helped me out.

Related to Calculating Walking Speed Based on Average Velocity and Distance Traveled

What are the benefits of running and walking?

Running and walking are both great forms of exercise that offer a variety of benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, increased muscle strength and endurance, weight management, and stress reduction. Both activities also release endorphins, which can improve mood and overall well-being.

Which is better for weight loss, running or walking?

The effectiveness of running or walking for weight loss depends on various factors such as intensity, duration, and frequency. However, studies have shown that running typically burns more calories and can lead to faster weight loss compared to walking. That being said, both activities can contribute to weight loss and maintenance when done consistently and paired with a healthy diet.

Are there any risks or injuries associated with running and walking?

Like any physical activity, running and walking carry a risk of injury. Common injuries include shin splints, runner's knee, and plantar fasciitis. To prevent these injuries, it is important to warm up properly, wear appropriate footwear, and gradually increase intensity and distance. Stretching before and after your workout can also help prevent injuries.

Can running and walking improve mental health?

Both running and walking have been shown to have a positive impact on mental health. The release of endorphins during exercise can improve mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. Additionally, the meditative aspect of walking and the social aspect of running with a group can also contribute to improved mental well-being.

How can I get started with a running or walking routine?

If you are new to running or walking, it is important to start slowly and gradually increase your distance and intensity. Consult with a doctor before starting any new exercise routine, and consider joining a beginner's group or seeking guidance from a personal trainer. It is also important to listen to your body and take rest days when needed to avoid injury.