Can anyone tell me anything about the INFN-DOE internship?

• Thread starter mathlete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the conversation was about a joint program between the National Institute for Nuclear Physics in Italy and the US Department of Energy. The person speaking was accepted into the program but had no prior knowledge about it. They were curious if anyone had any experience or information about the program or the institute. Another person responded with a greeting in Italian, but admitted they had no information on the program. In the end, they wished the first person good luck and mentioned that Italy does not have nuclear reactors.
mathlete
(This stands for National Institute for Nuclear Physics - Italy/US Department of Energy, it's a joint program). I applied and I was accepted, but I really don't know anything about this. It does sound rather exciting to go to Italy, but since it's a pretty big move i'd like to know if anyone has any prior experience/knowledge of this program, or even of the institute involved. Honest answers/further info would be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Coma Sta? Sta Bene. Di Dove Si?

That's a bit weird considering Italy has no nuclear reactors.

But good luck! It should be fun whatever you do :)

Btw, the above isn't proper Italian. Italy should be a great place to stay in but I have no info on the program.

Ah thanks I have not spoken italian in 15 years. Surprised that I even remembered a litte. I tried say Hi, How are you? I am fine. Where do you live?

1. What is the INFN-DOE internship?

The INFN-DOE internship is a research internship program jointly organized by the National Institute for Nuclear Physics (INFN) and the Department of Energy (DOE) in the United States. It provides an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to gain hands-on research experience in the fields of nuclear and particle physics.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the INFN-DOE internship?

Undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in a science, engineering, or mathematics program at an accredited university are eligible to apply for the INFN-DOE internship. Applicants must also have a strong academic record and a demonstrated interest in nuclear and particle physics.

3. What is the duration of the INFN-DOE internship?

The INFN-DOE internship typically lasts for 10-12 weeks during the summer months. However, the exact duration may vary depending on the specific research project and the availability of the student and the host institution.

4. How are interns selected for the INFN-DOE internship?

Interns are selected through a competitive application process, which includes submitting a resume, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation. The INFN and DOE jointly review the applications and select the most qualified candidates based on their academic record, research interests, and potential for success in the internship.

5. What can interns expect to gain from the INFN-DOE internship?

The INFN-DOE internship offers a unique opportunity for students to gain hands-on research experience in the fields of nuclear and particle physics. Interns will work closely with experienced scientists, conduct research in state-of-the-art facilities, and potentially contribute to groundbreaking discoveries. The internship also provides valuable networking opportunities and can help students in their future academic and career pursuits in the field of physics.