Can batteries supply 4.1 billion volts and 870 amps?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Cinimod
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Battery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Cinimod
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
hi there, I was wondering how easy (I would imagine not very) to get about 4.1e9 volts and about 870 amps from a battery or series of batteries? Is it even possible to get that much from a reasonable number of batteries? If it can be is the only reasonable way to get that kind of output to have a turbine making it? supposing that it can be done with batteries, how big do you think they would be? is it unrealistic to think that batteries could supply that much? if the batteries were recharged using solar power, how long do you think it would take?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Define 'reasonable' it could be done with a simple arrangement of say blocks of 80 batteries in paralle producing 10Amps each and then just stack 350,000,000 of these sets in series.
You would also need quite a lot of wire.

Thats a total of 4E9 kW that's roughly the total US energy consumption.
 
Last edited:
lol, I did consider that someone might ask me something like that when I was writing the original post. ok... I would say reasonable would be the total mass of all the batteries not exceeding a tonne (metric).
 
The only thing weighing less than a ton and capable of putting out that sort of power, and even then only for a short time, is a hydrogen bomb.
 
darn it...I didn't think that it was a possibility, but I had to ask :-p. My curiosity got the better of me.
 
I think the largest practical batteries were used on pre-nuclear propulsion submarines, like those used in WW2. You can google some to find out more. This is a good hit, but doesn't give details about the size and power output of the batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine
 
berkeman said:
I think the largest practical batteries were used on pre-nuclear propulsion submarines, like those used in WW2.

There are seriously large batteries in some data-center-sized uninterruptible power supplies - e.g. 500 kVA for 14 minutes.

The max output current 780A is getting close to the OP's spec of 870A, but the voltage is off by a factor of about 15 million. :cry:

And the battery appears to weigh about 9 tons so that doesn't meet the spec either :cry:

http://www.chlorideups.com/90Net_files/90-NET Data Sheet.pdf

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what sort of electrical insulation you would need to operate safely at 4100 MV... :confused:
 
Last edited:
are you trying to build a battery-powered death ray? =)
 
Keep in mind that 4 BILLION VOLTS is way, way, way higher than the breakdown voltage of air. You'd have to keep this deathly contraption in a very, very high vacuum to keep it from blowing itself up, and you with it.

- Warren