Can Colorblind Glasses Help End Racism?

• Thread starter ProjColorBlind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who wants to start a project to combat prejudice and racial profiling in their school community. They suggest creating colorblind glasses, but acknowledge that it may not be technically feasible. Instead, they propose establishing a meeting room where people can gather without the barrier of visual race identification. They also mention the possibility of using infrared goggles with filters.
ProjColorBlind
Hi!

I'm in high school currently and I want to start a project in my school community to stop prejudice and racial profiling.
While I know that it's in humans nature; I hope some of my fellow students will take something from this.

I had a thought of what I could do.
Colorblind glasses.
Now, this is not to get confused with people who are medically colorblind--and this is in no mean a mock. That's just the name of my project.

Basically-- to be colorblind and see the world without race.

Going back to the glasses; is there any way where I can somehow put together a pair of glasses where if you look through it and you see a black and white person standing side to side--you only see one skin pigment. (Pigment being black or white). So there is no race.

And if this is not possible at all; is there anything that I can do for this personal project?

Also, as a side note.. I'm not getting a grade for this.. I'm not trying to get a good reputation or anything. This is simply for a good cause in my community and if this project turns successful; it's something that can be done universally to stop racial profiling.

Leave any comments; suggestions or questions below. I appreciate all replies!
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I think race diversity is a wonderful thing that should not be covered up, but celebrated.

Likes edward
Your eyeglass project is not really technically feasible; but, your goal is a noble and admirable one.

As an alternative, you might consider establishing a Colorblind "totally dark" Meeting room for weekly sessions that provide an opportunity for people to gather, visit and exchange ideas without the barrier of visual race identification.

Infrared goggles with filters to make the image B/W might work.

1. Can colorblind glasses actually help end racism?

While colorblind glasses may help those with color vision deficiencies see a wider range of colors, they do not address the underlying issues of racism. Racism is a complex societal problem that cannot be solved simply by altering one's ability to see colors.

2. How do colorblind glasses work?

Colorblind glasses use special lenses that filter out certain wavelengths of light, allowing those with color vision deficiencies to see colors more accurately. They do not "cure" color blindness, but rather enhance the perception of colors.

3. Are colorblind glasses effective for all types of colorblindness?

Colorblind glasses may be effective for some types of color vision deficiencies, such as red-green color blindness. However, they may not be as effective for other types, such as blue-yellow color blindness. It is best to consult with an eye doctor before purchasing colorblind glasses.

4. Can wearing colorblind glasses change a person's perception of race?

No, colorblind glasses do not alter a person's perception of race. They simply enhance their ability to see colors. Racism is a learned behavior and cannot be changed by wearing glasses.

5. Are colorblind glasses a solution to ending racism?

While colorblind glasses may help individuals with color vision deficiencies see colors more accurately, they do not address the underlying issues of racism. It is important to actively educate ourselves, challenge our biases, and actively work towards creating a more inclusive and equitable society to truly end racism.