Can Complex Numbers Be Viewed as Real Numbers on the X and Y Plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
Leo Authersh
How is it possible to ignore the addition sign and imaginary number without contradicting fundamental Mathematics?

I find it difficult to understand.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
We don't ignore anything. Don't contradict anything either.
Leo Authersh said:
X2 + Y2 = (X + iY)/(X + iY)
is not correct. Where did you get this ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Leo Authersh
How can we consider a complex number as two separate real numbers for in X and Y plane?
It is just a different way to represent the numbers.
By giving the real and imaginary part of a complex number you can uniquely identify this number.

An analogy in the positive integers: You can write every number by its prime factorization.
You can write 2*3*5 or "2,3,5" instead of 30. Same thing, just written in a different way, and there is a 1:1 relation between numbers and their prime factorization.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Leo Authersh
BvU said:
Hi,
We don't ignore anything. Don't contradict anything either.
is not correct. Where did you get this ?
True that. I have edited it. But my question is correct and after thinking about it, I have found the answer myself. I just find it hard to put into words the exact thing in my mind. That's why the question is incomprehensible. But I think fresh_42 has understood my question.

Thank you for the answer BvU :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU